X-T2 or XF100-400 lens

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by rupert, Aug 30, 2016.

1. rupert

rupert New to FujiXspot

Aug 30, 2016
    Would appreciate any advice please. I am a very happy user of an X-T1 and have a range of prime lens plus the excellent XF50-140 f2.8. I am sailing to Antarctica for 4 weeks in November to climb and ski in the area and am wrestling with whether to invest in the new X-T2 or to stick with the X-T1 and get the XF100-400 lens. Not sure I can stretch to both.

I use a prime for people and general shots and would like to use a zoom (with the teleconverter) for wildlife shots that should be pretty plentiful where we are going. As I see it the costs are comparable so any thoughts with reasons would be really appreciated. Thanks all.

I am a competent photographer, but not a pro.

2. BobbyT

BobbyT Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Bobby Tingle
    From your second paragraph, it seems the 100-400 is going to fill a need. But, is this trip the only time you will have the need for this focal range? Also, will the 50-140 with a TC give you enough reach? Have you considered buying the X-T2 and renting a 100-400?

3. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    The 100-400 is an exceptional lens - I know because I have one. The X-T2 is reputed to be an exceptional camera - I haven't used one long enough to form a full opinion. What I would say is two things. 1. Given the choice, always invest in glass first, and bodies second. 2. Don't go somewhere one-off with brand new kit. Buy well in advance and get familiar with it.

It sounds like a great adventure - I'll look forward to seeing the results!

• Like Like x 1
  4. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    Of those two, for that kind of trip, the lens makes more sense to me. Those distances are going to be VAST. And it's not a particularly dirty place (and thus risky to change lenses in)... not too hard to just shoot the 100-400 and the 23 for the whole trip, pretty much.

• Like Like x 1
  5. rupert

rupert New to FujiXspot

Aug 30, 2016
    Thanks everyone. I am swayed by your good sense. The lens will come before the body.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. KillRamsey

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    I've been walking around with the XT1, and just the 23 f1.4 and XC 50-230 in my bag. I kinda like that combo, when there are BIG places on the menu.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BobbyT

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Bobby Tingle
    If I get to go on vacation there will be a 50-230 with my 16/56 combo. I'll most likely only have one of them with me at a time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Amberglass

Amberglass FujiXspot Regular

Aug 22, 2016
    Massachusetts, USA
    Travel and weight should always be a consideration when it comes to camera gear, especially with all the carry on restrictions. You mentioned climbing and skiing; again weight and balance in regards to gear backpacks and tripod when climbing and skiing; along with provisions. Unless I am doing a very specific photo assignment that requires super telephotos primes or zooms; I normally will rent them when traveling abroad, the lens delivered to my place of stay or reserved at a rental shop. If I don't know what opportunities I will come across; I stick with a 70-200mm f2.8 with teleconverters (1.4x, 1.7x, or 2x).

In this case for Fuji: the XF50-140mmF2.8 R LM OIS WR along with XF 1.4x or 2x TC, paired with a wide zoom or prime. As a rule, I only carry two lenses with me and one teleconverter (1.4x); relying on stealth and patience to get closer to my subjects. Recommend packing what you will actually be carrying when you climb, hike, and ski; then place a 5 pound weight in there and see how it feels to you for at least an hour. Keep in mind "Fatigue is the greatest nemesis to photographers" and "photography is nothing more than problem solving";).

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. KillRamsey

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    The light weight and compact size of that cheap XC 50-230 lens makes it even more attractive for that purpose, if you can live with 230 and no TC. I think mine was $180 used on the Bay.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BobbyT

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Bobby Tingle
    I found a 50-230 on an Amazon market deal for $140. $180 is a great price too. So yeah, there are some great deals to be had on this lens.

11. KillRamsey

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    Especially if you're willing to "go silver." People practically toss those silver kit lenses in the trash. And oh, my god, how little I care what color it is... just bring that giraffe closer, my friend. MUCH closer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    to paraphrase, there is no replacement for displacement. a lens that gives you 230mm reach on the long end will never do what a 100-400 can. It's a pricey lens, but (from what I've seen) it's well worth it. The lens you will have the rest of your life. The body you will apparently consider worthless after one life cycle (since you already have an X-T1 and think an X-T2 will bring you back better photos). At this point in digital camera development, camera body technology changes at a snail's pace. You can buy a new body when the old one gives out. Or you're just gear-obsessed.

13. Jeffryscott

Jeffryscott FujiXspot Rookie

Sep 22, 2013
    Arizona
    Is this a once in a lifetime trip? Is the 100-400 and X-T2 a combo you would sufficiently use once the trip is done? While I have and love my X-T1, AFC on wildlife, especially birds in flight, is not a strong suit - quite weak in fact. Preliminary reports of the X-T2 AF make it seem as though it is a substantial upgrade.

Given the wildlife opportunities that should present themselves, and given the magnitude of the trip (I'm assuming it is a pretty special trip as it isn't a common destination for most) if you can stretch the budget for both camera and lens I would do it, even if it entails renting one or the other. If the lens or body is not something you would use post trip, buying and reselling would also be an option, as the rental fee would probably be similar to the loss of reselling.

For me, there is nothing worse than going somewhere special and not having the gear I need to do the job properly.

• Agree Agree x 1