X10 for beginner

Discussion in 'Fuji X10, X20, X30, XF1, and X-S1' started by andris11, Feb 9, 2013.

1. andris11

andris11 New to FujiXspot

Feb 9, 2013
    I've read that the menu system of the X10 is pretty difficult, and the X10 may be a little too "big step" for a beginner. Is that true? Is it hard to make with it a good jpeg still? Can it take photos during making a video? Thank you for the replies.

2. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. FujiXspot Veteran

Jan 31, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Jpegs are one of its great strengths. It produces excellent jpegs. What other cameras have you used, if any? I find the X10 menus easier than I originally found the Olympus menus. Of course after a number of years the Olympus seem second nature. But if you're a beginner to digital photography most camera menus are going to require some effort to master. I don't know about its video capabilities (as I never shoot video) but I know that still photography is considered its strength. I think there are better choices if video is important to you, but, as it is not for me, I'll leave it to others to make suggestions about it.

3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    Honestly, I only use my X10 with the jpegs whereas the X100's RAW files just seem nicer to me...but that's a very personal thing. I don't think the X10 is too big a step for a beginner at all.

We've got some really well versed folks on this forum when it comes to "how to's" and I'm sure they'd be glad to help. It's been a while since I've even thought about the menu on either of these cameras... Once I set it, I forget it and usually shoot using Aperture exposure and change the ISO (like the old film speed) when I need to...plus use the EV compensation buttons.

The one thing I would wonder is how you plan on "developing" or what software you'd use with the camera? There are some pretty simple softwares available even if you don't want to get into something like Lightroom right away.

By the way, welcome!:th_salute:

P.S. I see Lawrence and I were posting at the same time. I have to admit that I've rarely used the video...I actually forget that it's there.:blush:

4. nianys

nianys FujiXspot Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    France
    Claire
    I think the X10 can be a good introduction, in that you can work your way up from Auto or Scene modes to semi automated modes with some choices (aperture or speed) to full manual.
    I just came back from a mountain vacation and though I usually shoot full manual with my NEX cameras, I shamelessly used the "Snow" so called "dummy mode' and with a little exposure compensation, it did beautifully. You can always go thru the menus item by item and ask questions here if something is unclear. I never shoot RAW btw, Fuji jpegs are the best available, IMO.

5. Hyubie

Hyubie FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Weymouth, MA
    I only had "difficulty" the first few days with the menu - mainly because I'm used to the Pen's controls. The Fuji jpegs are fantastic - dare I say more pleasing to me than Oly. The only thing I didn't really understand was the EXR mode, but I still used it based on the suggestions in the manual when to use it.

6. dixeyk

dixeyk Guest

I wouldn't say the X10 is particularly difficult for beginners. The menu is no more convoluted than Olympus or Panasonic or Sony (well in fact it's waaay nicer than the Sony UI). The Fuji X10 requires the user...(any user) to spend time learning what settings work best for you because it has a lot of options. For instance I see almost no difference between Medium/Fine and Large/Fine when it comes to setting the resolution and that is not like any other camera I have ever used. What settings work best for AutoISO, DR, etc...you get he idea. That said, a lot of use here can give you suggestions. If you're going to pop it into full auto and shoot then yes, it's stone simple.

7. andris11

andris11 New to FujiXspot

Feb 9, 2013
    Thank you, you are very kind. If you would want to choose from the Nikon P7700, the Olympus XZ-2 and the Fujifilm X10/X20, which would you choose? I know that this is a Fujifilm forum, but please try to be detached.

8. dixeyk

dixeyk Guest

It's pretty tough to be detached. When I bought the X10 I considered the XZ-1 and XZ-2 and chose the X10. I didn't even consider the P7700 because I don't like Nikon cameras. Buying today I would pick up an X20 or an X10 if you found one for a great price.

9. ci-lee

ci-lee FujiXspot Regular

Feb 12, 2013
    The manual zoom alone sets the x10/20 apart, imo most tactically enjoyable camera to use. Plus the EXR sensor of the X10, when understood, are capable of wonderful captures. And if the X-Trans sensor is similarly capable to the APS-C version, then I could see the x20 pushing up to a very useable ISO 3200 even 6400...

But just power one on, use the viewfinder and try the zoom. So fun to use!

• Like Like x 1
  10. It'sGreg

It'sGreg FujiXspot Rookie

Feb 3, 2013
    Iowa
    I think the X10 is easy enough for a beginner and sophisticated enough for the advanced amateur or pro. It's a flexible camera; you can use it as a point-and-shoot if you want (and don't underestimate the EXR auto mode; it's surprisingly good) or you can assume complete manual control (although manual focusing is a massive pain in the ass with the X10).

I intended the X10 to be used primarily on bike rides -- a sturdy but adaptable little camera that fit easily into a bike bag. But I find it's become my everyday camera simply because it's so flexible and so reliable.

• Like Like x 1