X10: ND filter without sacrificing portability?

Discussion in 'Fuji X10, X20, X30, XF1, and X-S1' started by 3ceepio, Feb 3, 2013.

1. 3ceepio

3ceepio New to FujiXspot

Feb 3, 2013
    As mentioned in at least one other thread the weird matrix of higher shutter speeds not being available at wider apertures is a mite frustrating, esp without a built-in ND filter. On a bright day I have to stop down quite a bit (in M/A modes) to avoid overexposure. I'd like to get an ND filter (2-4 stops ideally) that I could carry around and attach easily, but would like to avoid the bulk of a 52mm thread adapter. I carry my X10 in a wrap-around case so anything extra has to be small enough to leave on (ideally!) or if carried separately, be easily attached/detached each time.

What solutions have others found to attach ND filter to their X10? Any other solutions to work around the shutter speed limitations?

2. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
  3. 3ceepio

3ceepio New to FujiXspot

Feb 3, 2013
    Yep, I had seen that one, it is mostly about the UV filter (I have the Marumi 40mm UV filter already) and responders referring to ND seem to be using 46, 49 or 52mm adapter rings.

I have found at least one seller offering a 40mm ND400 (ND400=9-stops, right?), but as no brand-name or flexibility of other ND values eg 2/4/8 I haven't made the jump to try it out yet. The price is not too dear so I might take a punt on one and see how they work out - on that point I'm sure I'm exactly what the seller had in mind when posting their wares for sale ;)

4. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. FujiXspot Veteran

Jan 31, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    B+W has two 40.5 polarizers that Adorama carries that would work well with the 40-40.5 stepup ring. They are not cheap --$42 or $55 depending on the coating -- but undoubtedly worth it, as any weirdness from a cheap filter will be magnified considerably from the smaller sensor.

5. Jimbo70

Jimbo70 FujiXspot Regular

Feb 8, 2013
    Orange Park, FL.