X10 / Nikon V1 comparison pics, Liberty Memorial

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by The_Prof, Feb 7, 2013.

1. The_Prof

The_Prof FujiXspot Rookie

Feb 7, 2013
    Not long after getting my X10 (and just before sending it back in for repairs to the OVF), I did a comparison shoot between it and a Nikon V1 I've also been playing around with; at the Liberty Memorial/World War I museum in Kansas City. Would folks be interested in seeing some of the comparison pics?

2. adamlucas

adamlucas New to FujiXspot

Feb 3, 2013
    UK
    Comparison

Please post the comparisons. It will prove interesting.

Thank you.

Adam.

3. Armanius

Armanius FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Texas
    Muttley
    Sure thing! Thanks.

4. The_Prof

Feb 7, 2013
    Righto, here we go!

A few notes before starting:

* I haven't worked with either camera for very long, so I'm still learning how to get best advantage out of each one. I used both of them in Program mode, with Auto ISO limited to 400 on the X10 and 800 on the V1; that probably made a difference on the interior shots.

* Likewise, I'm still getting used to how best to hold, aim and steady both cameras, so the shot framing isn't as good as I'd like. The V1 was particularly bad about this; it's larger and heavier than the X10, and has almost nothing in the way of a grip.

* For each setting, I took several shots while trying to keep the framing and focal length consistent between cameras; for the comparisons here, I tried to pick the sharpest shot from each batch while keeping the same view. I couldn't control the variables as well as if I had them in full manual mode, but hopefully they'll still be close enough to be useful. (There were a few comparisons I left out both for space and because I couldn't get the scene matched closely enough.)

* Along those lines, the V1 seemed to have a notably higher percentage of blurry/fuzzy shots, particularly on the interior pics. Part of that's almost certainly attributable to the ISO - letting the V1 go up to 800 while limiting the X10 to 400 - but it's still disturbing for me.

* Also, I missed some shots with the V1 because the 'mode dial' sits right by where my thumb normally rests, kept getting reset from 'still' to 'movie' or 'motion snapshot', and I didn't notice until too late. This is a very serious flaw in the V1, for me - both in how easy it was to accidentally change the setting, and in how easy it is to miss this mode change when looking at the display.

* I took magnified crops out of each image (which will hopefully show at 100%) to see the image details; the images have been otherwise unmodified. Any difference in exposure/color balance/etc. is the results of the cameras' auto mode, not enhancement after-the-fact. :)

On most of the pics, the Nikon V1 version of the shot is first, followed by the X10 version.

5. The_Prof

Feb 7, 2013
    First Pic - Liberty Memorial Wide-Angle

Here's the first image in the set, taken climbing up a hill to the memorial.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  6. The_Prof

Feb 7, 2013
    Tower Crown

Shots of the top of the memorial tower, taken from near the base. Had to crane way up and hold the cameras sideways to get the shots, so it's not as straight as I'd like; although the two pics aren't as close in focal length as I'd like, they were closest in the angle/framing.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. The_Prof

Feb 7, 2013
    Union Station

Kansas City's Union Station is right across from Liberty Memorial, and the memorial's a perfect vantage for photographing the station; here's a pair of shots, one from the deck near the base of the tower, one from the top of the tower.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. The_Prof

Feb 7, 2013
    Union Station 2

And the second Union Station pic (no crops on this one, for time/space reasons)

(Unlike the other scenes, here the X10 version of the pic is first, followed by the Nikon V1.)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  9. The_Prof

Feb 7, 2013
    Kansas City Skyline

Another view of Union Station, with the Kansas City downtown skyline in the background. Maybe it's just me, but the richer colors in the X10 pic give a greater feeling of depth following the buildings up to the skyline.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  10. The_Prof

Feb 7, 2013
    World War I Museum - Artillery pieces

Two artillery pieces from the Liberty Memorial/World War I Museum collection. Lighting in the museum proper is often tricky for me to shoot in; lots of spotlit items juxtaposed with silhouetting against other strongly-lit items. Note also how the exposure trend is reversed here; while outdoors the X10 usually turned in the darker, more saturated pictures, inside the V1 had better saturation control (or the X10 was blowing out the highlights); see the 'Global War' wall display in the upper-right background. On the other hand, the X10 probably does a better job of capturing details on the guns themselves.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  11. The_Prof

Feb 7, 2013
    WWI Museum, Ambulance

Ambulance from the museum's collection.

Here again, the V1 has richer color than the X10, a reversal of the usual pattern.

Attached Files:

12. Armanius

Armanius FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Texas
    Muttley
    For the few weeks I had a V1, I was pretty impressed with its metering (other than the AF abilities of course).

13. The_Prof

Feb 7, 2013
    WWI Museum Hall of Memory

The Hall of Memory is one of the two above-ground exhibition buildings flanking the memorial tower; the top half of the interior walls display selections from the large 'Pantheon de la Guerre' mural created and displayed in Paris after the war, before coming to the United States. Lighting and building materials combine to give the interior a dim, yellowish cast, making for another tricky shooting environment. I tried playing with the EXR function on the X10, but in the end am posting a photo in standard Program mode; EXR didn't offer that much of an improvement.

Also, while the V1 was usually sharper at 100%, here it fell down hard; the shots aren't even remotely as good as the X10, in sharpness or color. Note here that the X10 returns to its usual higher level of saturation, compared to the V1.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  14. The_Prof

Feb 7, 2013
    Overall thoughts

In general, the V1 seemed to have sharper details at 100% than the X10 did. This surprised me when making the crops for this comparison - because the usual impression I had, browsing through the pictures after taking them, is that the X10 was crisper. I think it's a combination of two things - the darker, richer colors the X10 usually displays do a better job of bringing out the details than the 'flatter' colors on the V1; and the repeated blurred photos in interior shots on the V1 prejudiced me against it, even when it gave somewhat sharper pics on the non-blurred images.

The X10 pretty consistently showed darker, richer colors than the V1. From my memory of the shoot a couple of weeks ago, the V1'scolors were technically more accurate most of the time, but I'm usually happier with the X10's color cast. In particular, the X10's colors often gave a deeper feel to the pic.

I've been somewhat disappointed with the V1 overall; I don't like the ergonomics, I don't like the mode dial, and I really don't like the continual problems I'm having trying to get good indoor shots. Putting this comparison together has somewhat redeemed it in my eye, as it was often sharper than I'd given it credit for being; but I still think the X10 is a camera I'm happier with.

• Like Like x 1