X10 Turn On Issue

Discussion in 'Fuji X10, X20, X30, XF1, and X-S1' started by Snix, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Snix

Snix FujiXspot Rookie

Feb 1, 2013
    Australia
    On some occasions, my X10 will not turn on. Turn the zoom ring and it won't go on, then off and on again usually fixes it. Anyone else had this issue? Almost seems like the internal switch has an issue...

2. demiro

demiro FujiXspot Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    PA-USA
    Dean
    I recall more than a few similar complaints when the X10 first launched. Not sure I ever heard any real resolution though. Seems like maybe Fuji quietly addressed the issue, or people stopped complaining about it. Sorry I can't offer any advice, but if you can return the camera or still have your warranty I'd probably try to take advantage of that and get a new one.

3. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. FujiXspot Veteran

Jan 31, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Mine is good whenever I turn the lens to on. Wish I could help. Have you written to Fuji?

4. Snix

Snix FujiXspot Rookie

Feb 1, 2013
    Australia
    I'll see if it gets worse, now it is only occasional.. They'd probably say they can't fault it!

Leon

5. Ifocus

Ifocus New to FujiXspot

Feb 3, 2013
    I have the same issue from time to time but it never got worse. It never bothered me too much hence I live with it.

6. Jules

Jules FujiXspot Rookie

I have the same issue occasionally, but it always corrects itself immediately. I'm like Ifocus - it doesn't bother me all that much.

7. ginobi

ginobi New to FujiXspot

Feb 3, 2013
    It sometimes happens to me when I turn it slowly. Try to turn the barrel fast.

8. photogfollett

photogfollett FujiXspot Regular

Feb 2, 2013
    San Carlos, California
    John
    I started having the same problem shortly after getting my X10. I did some research and found that a lot of times reformatting your card when you first reinstall it in the camera will solve the problem. I tried it and I haven't had the problem since. Just an idea...

9. Snix

Snix FujiXspot Rookie

Feb 1, 2013
    Australia
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one, thanks for all the comments! Looks like it could be a firmware issue perhaps. I'll try reformatting, I usually do it in the camera but lately I've been leaving the previous photos on the card as extra backup while on holidays...

10. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    If the camera doesn't switch on after turning the ring, I simply (half-)press the shutter button for a few seconds, like I do when waking the camera up from "sleep mode". It very rarely happens here, but if it does...

11. Snix

Snix FujiXspot Rookie

Feb 1, 2013
    Australia
    Thanks, i did try that but nothing happened! Only turning it off and on again fixed it. But it is so rare, I don't have a definite pattern yet..

Leon

12. crsnydertx

crsnydertx FujiXspot Regular Subscribing Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Same minor issue here; very random, not repeatable. I just go with the flow...

13. Snix

Snix FujiXspot Rookie

Feb 1, 2013
    Australia
    I'm going to try reformatting the card each and every time now and see how it goes. I only ever formatted it in the camera but often left previous images on the card after backing up to the computer using a card reader.. We'll see how it goes!

Leon

14. crsnydertx

Feb 4, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I had issues with both the X10 and X100 when I uploaded photos to my iPad. If I didn't format the card after the upload, the cameras would take more than a minute to restart, and that was every time they were shut down and restarted. Very annoying; apparently a problem encountered by several folks. I've stopped uploading to the iPad for the most part.

15. steve

steve FujiXspot Rookie

Feb 8, 2013
    new jersey
    steve
    yea, I've had the same thing happen while using the x10 over the past year or so---i just turn it off and back on again. Does'nt happen that often and really is'nt a bother.

steve

16. afkenner

afkenner FujiXspot Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    New York
    Adam
    One thing that helps to reduce this issue - if you remove the card from the camera, lock the card before inserting it into any device. After you're done downloading, eject it the right way, then unlock the card and put it back in the camera. I haven't had to reformat once since adopting this habit.

17. crsnydertx

Feb 4, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Unfortunately, I ran into Catch 22 with the Apple Camera Connection SD card reader for iPad; it wouldn't read the card if it was locked! PITA....

18. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    Strage, my iPads could read locked cards when I tested this.

19. Snix

Snix FujiXspot Rookie

Feb 1, 2013
    Australia
    I use a card reader on a Windows PC, never tried locking it...

Leon

20. pniev

pniev Guest

Thanks for the advice. I have the same issue as Snix and will try your solution.