X10/X20 Fashion Portraiture

Discussion in 'Portrait' started by the sardonic iconic, Feb 27, 2013.

1. the sardonic iconic

the sardonic iconic FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 2, 2013
    NYC
    I felt bad hi-jacking the awesome "Beautiful Women (Feminine Beauty)" thread by taz, so I'll be updating here from now on. If there are any other fashion photographers on these forums, I would love to see more samples of the X10 (and soon the X20) used in this application. With the release of Lightroom 4.4 with improved X-Trans support, I myself am pretty confident that I'll be swinging by B&H when the X20 is released as long as dynamic range at ISO100 is at least the same or (hopefully) improved.

View attachment 10275
    View attachment 10276
    View attachment 10277
    View attachment 10278
    View attachment 10279
    View attachment 10280

As per forum guidelines, I didn't post any NSFW images, but the remainder of this set can be seen on my flickr.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Armanius

Armanius FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Texas
    Muttley
    I'm continuously amazed by your photos! Great quality and beauty. Well done. Let us know how you like the X20 once you get it! Go to BH tomorrow. Feb. 28 is listed by BH as the release date. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. ean10775

ean10775 FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    Amazing images as usual. While a camera like the X10/X20 with good IQ and features that help make capturing an image easier is a good thing, I think this thread will serve as a reminder that the best thing a camera can do is to stay out of the way of the photographer and allow him/her to concentrate on the things that really matter most like light, composition, subject and expression.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tdp

Tdp Guest

5. the sardonic iconic

Feb 2, 2013
    NYC
  6. ean10775

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    ^Honestly, I think your stuff is easily equally as good .

• Like Like x 1
  7. drewbot

drewbot FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Toronto
    Love the processing on these.

A magician never shows his secret, but, what IS your workflow?

You nail this look down pat.

8. the sardonic iconic

Feb 2, 2013
    NYC
    Thank you so much!

All I'm doing is pretty much using lightroom to: adjust WB to desired effect, turn off Luminance Noise Reduction, reduce Color Noise reduction to maybe 5-10, lower sharpening to around 15-20, play with curves for desired aesthetic. I'm essentially lifting the low end, creating strong contrast in the mids, and easing off the highlights slightly. I'll often play with the green channel specifically with a slight green/shadows and magenta/highlights bias. It really is set "to taste" each time, though. If there's a particularly distracting blemish, loose thread, etc... I'll bring the image into PS and clone tool it away. I'd say the average editing time for one of these is 6-10 minutes, depending on how anal I'm being.

• Like Like x 2
  9. ean10775

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    Sardonic, what FOVs do you usually use on your X10 for these types of shoots? I have no doubt you can make the X100S work, but do you prefer the ability to change framing by zooming?

10. the sardonic iconic

Feb 2, 2013
    NYC
    I'm at just about 35-40mm most of the time. Maybe one in ten shots is at 112mm... and usually only because I want to try and blowout the background. I'm actually very much a "primes" guy... for my D800/D3 I use a 35mm f1.8, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f1.4, 105mm f2, 180mm f2.8. I much prefer set focal lengths over having a zoom, and if I could keep only two focal lengths, it would be the 35mm and the 105mm.

I'm still thinking about it, but the more I consider it, the X100s might be a better fit. But part of the reason I bought the X10 to begin with was as a personal challenge to shoot with smaller sensor "lesser" camera, so I don't know haha!

• Like Like x 3
  11. ean10775

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    Yeah I'm the same way. When I had a zoom I used it exclusively at either 24mm or 105mm it seemed. If I could only have 1 FL, it would be 35mm - wide enough to tell a story, but still able to fill the frame with a subject without too much distortion. I can see how 105mm would be complementary.

12. taz98spin

taz98spin FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    New York, NY
    TAZ
    Wow, your images are always so amazing!! :eek: Great job!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Pav

Pav FujiXspot Regular

Mar 4, 2013
    Detroit
    Pavlos
    Hey. These look familiar. Oh yeah. They're the ones I usually notice in the X10/X20 group on flickr. Great shots done with a great style. I can almost always pick out yours out of my new contacts photos when I go through or when they're added to the group.

• Like Like x 1
  14. the sardonic iconic

Feb 2, 2013
    NYC
    Thank you so much... welcome to the forums! :)

15. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    A very nice guy, actually a father-son team, frequently hired by Fujifilm Poland to set up press events or shoot demos. I met them in Warsaw last year.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Archiver

Archiver FujiXspot Rookie

Feb 5, 2013
    All I can say is that your work is the bomb. You pick a distinctive style of model and know how to compose using the geometry of their limbs, not to mention having super lighting skills. Some of these could be in campaigns for big name jeans/casual brands.