X10 Xplorations

Discussion in 'Fuji X10, X20, X30, XF1, and X-S1' started by dixeyk, Feb 3, 2013.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Guest

8443403912_e45bc384c2_b.
    Hey Man by dixeyk, on Flickr

8443403586_fbe4957dea_b.
    Abuela by dixeyk, on Flickr

While I would have liked a shallower DOF to isolate the subjects a bit better given that these were shot in a moving car, in terrible light, I'm pretty pleased with the results. The X10 continues to surprise me (in a good way). My son seems to be rapidly progressing through his rock star looks. It was 60's Mick Jagger a few days ago but he's definitely got a 90's Seattle thing going on today.

I push everything through LR (and Silver Efex Pro 2 for BW) and I find the JPEGs from the X10 to be very forgiving and easy to work. I typically don't need to do much. On rare occasions I do some NR but most often a little adjusting of the contrast in Silver Efex Pro and then I add some vignetting. The files themselves always seem to have great detail and sharpness and even in challenging conditions the dynamic range is better than I would expect. I find myself very impressed with that zoom ones.

MF, Aperture Priority, -1/3 Exposure Comp, Sharpness +1, NR +1, Highlight Tone -1, Auto1600, DR200...and I have been playing with DR400 a bit

2. photogfollett

photogfollett FujiXspot Regular

Feb 2, 2013
    San Carlos, California
    John
    Unbelievably great portraits with the X10, thanks for sharing these along with your settings.

3. Hyubie

Hyubie FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Weymouth, MA
    Very nice portraits! Can't believe you did it with MF. I tried MF when I had the X10, and never left AF after that. Bravo. :)

4. dixeyk

dixeyk Guest

Oops sorry Hyubie...MF wasn't manual focus...it's MEDIUM FINE (resolution). I always use the X10) on AF (that'll teach me to use photo-geek shorthand in future posts). I have played with manual focus and I don't care for it. I think it would be much more doable with the available focus peaking on the X20. That said, I think the AF on the X10 is quire good.

Kevin

5. Hyubie

Hyubie FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Weymouth, MA
    Good to know. You are human after all. Haha! :D

6. dixeyk

dixeyk Guest

7. dixeyk

dixeyk Guest

Attached Files:

8. pniev

pniev Guest

Really nice photos!
    And thanks for sharing your settings and PP. That is a great idea and will help everyone, I hink. I will try to do the same.
    Thanks again, Peter

9. pniev

pniev Guest

Just curious: did you use the DR400 setting with MF here? What was the ISO number?

Thnx, Peter

10. dixeyk

dixeyk Guest

DR400 with MF (medium fine)...it's ISO 100

11. dixeyk

dixeyk Guest

12. Hyubie

Hyubie FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Weymouth, MA
    You're really working that thing, Kevin! Beautiful shots.

• Like Like x 1
  13. EBC Wilson

EBC Wilson FujiXspot Regular

Feb 20, 2013
    Remarkably fine, just remarkably fine, NOTHING like good B+W.

But hey, what's the matter with you? Don't you know there's no post-processing support for X Cameras ? ? ? Well, well, Despite what you've heard folks, our friend here DIDN'T get the memo.

And thanks for posting your settings, but two questions: Why MF, and do you find that with the highlight tone down 1 that they don't run away as easily?

Again, NICE.

14. dixeyk

dixeyk Guest

I have read that the differences in MF (Medium Fine) and LF (Large Fine) are pretty small and that does appear to be the case. I took the highlight down to keep form getting blown out images and it seems to work. I have also played around with RAW and it doesn't seem to be problematic in LR but I don't see that much difference between the RAW and JPEG files so I've been sticking with JPEG for now.

Thanks for the kind words.

15. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    Kevin, what a nice big blast of fresh air to see these X10 images on a dreary day here in the NY metro area...as I continue to amass info for my taxes.

The image quality is excellent and I had to laugh at your description of your son's hair style iterations! He's going to enjoy seeing these when he's quite a bit older and so will his girlfriend/s.:biggrin_old:

Got to love those Whoop Ass Hot Sauce guys - they look like rustlers to me!