x100 image quality vs DSLR?

Discussion in 'Fuji X100, X100S, and X100T' started by Fastglass, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Fastglass

Fastglass New to FujiXspot

Feb 4, 2013
    New Brunswick Canada
    I started out with a Canon 300D in 2001, then upgraded to a 30D, then a couple of 40D's, then a 5D classic, then sold off all of my dslr gear last year when I just lost interest for some reason. Now I'm thinking about photography again and considering buying an X100 or a X10 or X20. A one lens set-up to keep it simple and fun.
    I've looked at samples online but it's hard to tell, theres just so much to sort through good and bad. So I'm wondering, from those that have made the switch how you think the image quality compares to a typical aps-c type dslr.

2. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    well, the sensor is the same size and the Fuji lens is great. So if you compare to current last year or so APS-C cameras, it will better be than the DSLR with it's kit lens and comparable to a DSLR with a fast dedicated prime.

3. Mytola

Mytola FujiXspot Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    To be honest, I didn't notice any significant difference between my Fuji X100, Nikon D7000 and Nikon D3 in terms of overall quality. From the raw-files anyway. The X100s will be a significant step up from the X100 as well.

4. zapatista

zapatista FujiXspot Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    Denver
    Mike
    I don't think the X100 will ever match the "DSLR" image quality of Nikon crop sensor DSLR's because they have Ashton Kutcher as a spokesperson.

5. Nic

Nic FujiXspot Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    There's no magic sauce in a DSLR sensor versus that in the X100 or any other compact with a similar sized sensor. What is different is how a Canon file looks and responds to editing compared to a Sony-based sensor like that in the X100. You may have a preference for one over the other.

6. landshark

landshark Fujiman

Feb 1, 2013
    SoCal
    could not be stated any better

7. BigTam

BigTam FujiXspot Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    And for my money, the X100 has better colours and skin tones :)