X100 or X20

Discussion in 'Fuji X10, X20, X30, XF1, and X-S1' started by barrys, Feb 28, 2013.

1. barrys

barrys New to FujiXspot

Feb 28, 2013
    While waiting for my X20 to ship, I'm being tempted by X100 discounts. A used X100 on Amazon.com shipped by Amazon and with a 30-day return is $740. Presuming that it's in great condition, which would you go for: X20 (which none of us have seen yet) or the X100 which we all know?

2. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    for me, it's the X100. I'm hooked on the look and I dig the fixed focal length.

3. barrys

barrys New to FujiXspot

Feb 28, 2013
    I may end up there. I'm waiting to see how low the new prices will go as retailers deplete their stock when the X100S ships.

4. spinyman

spinyman FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Valley Center,CA.
    My guess for the near future is $800 new.I would have to say no contest, the X100.

5. Armanius

Armanius FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Texas
    Muttley
    Depends on your wants and needs. How do you feel about shooting nothing but 35mm? It's my favorite focal length. But it may not be yours.

6. barrys

barrys New to FujiXspot

Feb 28, 2013
    That's really the only thing that is in my way. It's my favorite focal length. But that doesn't mean I don't use others. For me, it would be a trade off on IQ vs. zoom.

7. Iansky

Iansky FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Ian Lloyd-Grahm
    If you can live with the slightly larger footprint of the camera and the fixed focal length, the difference in IQ is worth it and prices for the X100 are brilliant with the imminent launch of the 100s - good time to buy a great camera!

8. Ramirez

Ramirez FujiXspot Regular

Feb 25, 2013
    There is also the WLC-X100 which turns the 35 eq lens to 28 eq. without loosing IQ at all. There are two focal lengths for X100 :)

9. barrys

barrys New to FujiXspot

Feb 28, 2013
    Good points

10. Isoterica

Isoterica FujiXspot Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    They need a tele lens converter for the x100. Just saying, bring it to 50mm or 80 though the latter seems a stretch.

11. depscribe

depscribe FujiXspot Regular

Feb 17, 2013
    If Fuji's claims about the increased image quality for the X20 are accurate, and the improved focusing is as good as they are claiming, it would be very close. I have both an X10 and an X100, but most days Icarry the X10 because it is more likely to be useful for any targets of opportunity that might arise. It does, of course, depend on what kind of picture taking you do. I carried a Leica M-2 with a 35mm Summicron for a lot of years -- and made primarily pictures that could be readily taken with a 35mm lens. That's not always an available luxury, though, and missing a picture for lack of reach is not a happy feeling.

12. barrys

barrys New to FujiXspot

Feb 28, 2013
    Well, I did it. I cancelled my X20 order and ordered an X100. Arrives tomorrow. Now for my favorite 3 words in the English dictionary: Out for Delivery!

13. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. FujiXspot Veteran

Jan 31, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    That's where mine is right now, "Out for Delivery", which should be tomorrow. Am I like an 8 year old the day before Christmas?? Why yes, of course.