X100 - still an option?

Discussion in 'Fuji X100, X100S, and X100T' started by otalp, Oct 6, 2013.

1. otalp

otalp FujiXspot Regular

Feb 8, 2013
    Germany
    The X100 is now offered for about 680€ including the LC-X100 camera bag. After three years in the market, is this still an interesting option? Are there some major flaws to be aware of?

2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    Not from my point of view. I'm sure there will be those will swear by the upgrades of the X100s - which has the x trans sensor among some other things, however I can't realistically speak to them since I've never owned one.

The X100 is a beauty.

3. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I just took my X100 out for a walk today. It's a joy to use and the images it puts out are uniformly excellent. It actually makes me seem like a better photographer than I am.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bobbywise

bobbywise FujiXspot Regular

Feb 15, 2013
    Nantes
    Robert Wisbey
    It's a great camera, even three years on.
    I don't think you can go wrong with it if you are after a 35mm equivalent fixed lens camera.
    Apparently a firmware update will be out for it soon.

5. Biro

Biro Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I'd still consider an original X100 with the latest firmware updates. I'm hoping for a blow-out sale by Fuji this Christmas season.

6. otalp

otalp FujiXspot Regular

Feb 8, 2013
    Germany
    Thanks for the quick replies. Are there any serial numbers to avoid? Thinking of sticky aperture blades ...

7. BAXTING

BAXTING FujiXspot Regular

Jul 19, 2013
    Just get a black LE version, dont think those were affected. ;)

8. Christilou

Christilou FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    I upgraded and haven't found it worth the extra money. I still think the original produces nicer pics despite the slightly better focusing on the S version. Go get one before they sell out!

9. SimpleGus

SimpleGus FujiXspot Regular

Sep 26, 2013
    Buy second hand like I did. 1000clicks for 650usd.

And like one said, fw 2.0 is coming by the end of this month and there u have 20% faster AF !

I also like 12mpixel due to the smaller files.

It's a steal for that price!

10. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    Re the ones to avoid - I have one of the first batch sold in the USA and have never ever had a problem. I'm afraid I can't give remember any of the worrisome details that hit some of them...sticky blades, etc. You can always buy (should always buy?) from a reputable source.

11. bartjeej

bartjeej FujiXspot Regular

Mar 31, 2013
    Serial numbers starting with 1 can be affected, with 12 and 13 most likely (although plenty of cameras with those SN's have never had an issue). Serial numbers starting with 2 should be safe, although just to be sure, you could limit yourself to serial numbers starting with 22 or higher.

LE / black versions can be affected just like the regular versions, if they have one of those lower serial numbers.

By the way, the first decal of the serial number signifies the year (1= 2011, 2=2012 etc), the second number the quarter of the year. The solution to the SAB's was implemented in Q1 2012.

12. jloden

jloden FujiXspot Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    The only issues I experienced with the original X100 was dust. I had it in the OVF and EVF, and mine acquired a large dust spot inside the lens/on the sensor. The X100S has been fine, but the original X100 was a dust magnet for some reason.

The Sticky Aperture Blades syndrome is a potential problem I guess but you can avoid the affected serial numbers, or make sure one you buy has already been serviced by Fuji etc. Not something I'd worry about excessively myself.

I really think the original X100 is still a fine camera. It's basically a big helping of incremental improvements in the X100S - and they do add up to a nicer, more functional camera. But the original model shares many of the same best features as the S model and at the greatly reduced price point they go for now I consider it a good value if you're in the market for a fixed lens camera like that.

13. Peter Chin

Peter Chin FujiXspot Regular

Feb 2, 2013
    Still boxed while the X100 sees action.

[​IMG]

14. RT_Panther

RT_Panther FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 2, 2013
    Texas
    I concur.
    My serial number is 21 & thus far, no SAB issues (knock on wood)...

15. jloden

jloden FujiXspot Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay

That's one heck of an expensive paperweight... :D

16. donlaw

donlaw FujiXspot Regular

Feb 9, 2013
    Texas
    I bought a used X100, sold it when I was caught up in the hype on the new improved model. Bought a new X100s, found that in fact I like the results on the older sensor a bit better, and really didn't find the focus speed that much better. Sold it.
    Just bought the a used X100 again off of ebay for $535. Nice deal came with the lens shade and a B+W filter.
    I am not a GAS person
    I am not a GAS person...

• Like Like x 2
  17. dduval

dduval FujiXspot Regular

Oct 7, 2013
    Well, I hope the x100 is still an option. I just got a used one with a ton of extras...I knew ahead of time it might be subjected to SAB. Serial starts with 13 and was manufactured in May 2011...there's about 4000 clicks on it and no SAB yet, but my luck sucks and I'm fully expecting it to go bad on me eventually.

I got the original receipt from previous owner, so worst case, I'll send it in for repair. I got a great deal on it and plan to keep it for awhile so we'll see what happens...

Dana

18. dduval

dduval FujiXspot Regular

Oct 7, 2013
    What serial did you get?

19. donlaw

donlaw FujiXspot Regular

Feb 9, 2013
    Texas
    Hi
    Don't know yet. The camera is being shipped to me, should have it Friday.

20. ean10775

ean10775 FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    I too got caught up in the improved features of the X100S and preordered one, but found that the advantages it offered over the X100 weren't terribly important to me and since, like you, I much prefer the results from the non X-trans sensor I sold mine. I'm not sure yet whether or not I'll pick up an X100 as a replacement.