X100/X100S Wedding & Engagement Portraiture

Discussion in 'Portrait' started by the sardonic iconic, May 20, 2013.

1. the sardonic iconic

the sardonic iconic FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 2, 2013
    NYC
    As my fashion thread has recently been censored/pruned, and it seems I won't be able to share the full scope of my fashion work here anymore, I've decided to share the other half of my work here. This is in light of the fact that I've gotten comfortable enough with the X100S in terms of it's capabilities and short-comings to incorporate it with my wedding work. Again, I would LOVE to have other forum members share their wedding/engagement work in this thread as well, as I'll be continually updating with notable images myself.

Anyhow, this was a wedding in Asbury Park, NJ from this rainy weekend. The bride and groom wanted a few images at local landmarks with sentimental value, but it seems that much of the area was still in pretty rough shape from hurricane Sandy late last year. Overall, in terms of the X100S, I was relatively happy with it's performance and (as usual) very happy with it's image quality. The main drawbacks and the reasons I won't be getting rid of my D800/D3 anytime soon are the poor low-light AF performance, complete lack of a real tracking AF-C mode, and the battery life. I've NEVER had any issues with the battery life before, but for fashion work I never go through a full charge and it's no problem to change a battery mid shoot. Not so much with weddings... I went through two batteries that both died in HIGHLY unlucky moments, but thankfully nothing that I couldn't cover with a 50mm perspective (I always had at least one other camera on me). Here's a few from the day, with quick preliminary edits:

View attachment 13378
    Untitled by the_sardonic_iconic, on Flickr
    View attachment 13379
    View attachment 13380
    View attachment 13381
    View attachment 13382
    View attachment 13383
    View attachment 13384
    View attachment 13385
    View attachment 13386
    View attachment 13387
    View attachment 13388
    View attachment 13389
    View attachment 13390
    View attachment 13391
    View attachment 13392
    View attachment 13393
    View attachment 13394
    View attachment 13395
    View attachment 13396
    View attachment 13397

2. pniev

pniev FujiXspot Veteran

May 13, 2013
    Thanks for continuing to share your work! I admire the way you make use of existing light and facial expressions and poses to create a certain atmosphere. The 35mm eq. seems to be a great focal length too.
    I learn a lot from viewing the work of pros like yourself and I do hope we will see a lot of it in the future!

Too bad of the weather for the couple. They probably thought this would a great time of the year in NJ (which, as I nw from experience, is).

Peter

Btw and off-topic: there was a time I thought the correct words were Bride and Broom. I'm still not sure if this was due to a lack of language skills or a non-conscious metaphor. ;-)

3. ean10775

ean10775 FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    Sardonic, I hope you'll still be willing to share some photos in the fashion/portraiture thread provided the admins deem them allowable.

These are great, both the composition and the processing. I especially like the photo of the couple outside Wonder Bar.

4. taz98spin

taz98spin FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    New York, NY
    TAZ
    Thanks for sharing these images as well!!!

I wished you posted your images earlier before I shot my 1st solo wedding 2 weekends ago.. :confused:

First time I shot a wedding, I had a second and third photographer with me, but this time I didn't, and it was chaotic..
    + the Priest would not allow me to get in the front of the ceremony and demanded that I stay behind all guest..!! :mad:

Anyways, hope to see more of your wedding work!!

5. jloden

jloden FujiXspot Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I see your talents extend to other genres as well as fashion :thumbup:

These look great. I particularly like the choice of atmospheric shots like the kids' shoes/bouquet and the way you managed to keep a very natural feel. I see a lot of fantastic wedding photos but many of them feel more heavily "produced", whereas these feel relaxed and real to me. Hard to describe, but these make me feel more like I'm seeing beautiful captured moments of their wedding day rather than a carefully orchestrated and posed set of well-executed images. It's personal preferences I suppose, but I really like it... I wish I had photos like that from my wedding day! :)

6. the sardonic iconic

Feb 2, 2013
    NYC
    Thanks so much, I really appreciate that as it's very much the aesthetic I try to go for with my wedding/engagement work. My first goal is always to establish a level of comfort, ease, and trust with my clients both in front of and apart from the camera. This is actually why I do everything within my power to package engagement sessions along with wedding day coverage, it set a baseline familiarity on the wedding day for clients with how I work and also for me to know how a couple is in front of the camera. In terms of posing, I still do a fair bit of directing and I'll setup a shot with strong composition... but I like to give clients what I call "play space". This is where I'll actively engage them after they've been setup. Usually questions like "So tell me about your first kiss, what was your best date, what was your WORST date, when did you know you were in love, etc etc" will elicit those genuine and organic responses between a couple when they're posed in otherwise rather non-genuine and non-organic poses/situations. Depending on the question, these "moments" will range from laughter to adoration and pure affection. This is why establishing a dialogue and trust is sooo important for my workflow... I couldn't create this moments no matter how hard I tried on my own, and it's a big ask to be privy to that kind of candor between a couple.

7. the sardonic iconic

Feb 2, 2013
    NYC
    These are from an engagement session earlier this spring in Central Park. I didn't use the X100S too much during this shoot, but these are a few of the images that I felt it was appropriate for.

View attachment 13436
    View attachment 13437
    View attachment 13438
    View attachment 13439
    View attachment 13440
    View attachment 13441

8. pniev

pniev FujiXspot Veteran

May 13, 2013
    Thanks! That is very informative. Like Joe I wished I ad a photographer like you on my wedding day.But it would have required a trip tothe Netherlands.

9. pniev

pniev FujiXspot Veteran

May 13, 2013
    Another impressive set. Especially #3 captures the love between the couple while #5 fantastically captures their happiness!
    Thanks for sharing. I learn a lot!
    Peter

10. jloden

jloden FujiXspot Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Very cool! Thanks for sharing some of how you work, I find it very interesting and informative. Great engagement shots too.

11. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    nice sets. The couples must be very pleased.