X100f vs X-Pro 2

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by Howie, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Howie

Howie New to FujiXspot

Jul 23, 2017
    Hello. New to the forum. I come from a Canon APS-C camera. I mostly take travel photos and have been looking at a new camera that would be light in weight but take high quality photos. As a background, I do usually carry a camera, two lenses, and a tripod on trips so I'm not necessarily afraid to sacrifice my body to take better photos but it's not exactly something I want to do. I have been looking to upgrade for a while and was looking at the Sony A7 series. I do shoot in raw and I do know how to PP photos, but I realize that I am too lazy to PP photos. For this reason, I have been looking at the X100f and X-Pro 2. I'm thinking that with good quality Wifi and Jpegs, I can hand off our travel photos to the gf and I can post process whatever I want at my own pace if ever.

Anyways, the X100f appeals to me due to its size and I can get Jpegs using the Chrome and Acros at the same time. I also won't feel like I am committed to the Fuji system so I can go out and buy a Sony full frame and invest in Sony lenses without feeling that I wasted my money buying Fuji gear in the first place.

With that said, the X-Pro 2 gives me flexibility over the X100f. And given the cost of X100f, I might feel that buying into the Fuji system is simply the better deal. If I like the Fuji system and I don't care for X100f's size, it seems to me that the X-Pro 2 + lens is money better spent, even though it is more money spent. But that's if I want to buy into the Fuji system, which I am not sure about vs the Sony system. Any thoughts in helping me make a decision would be greatly appreciated. I'm more of a buy once and forget it type of person and right now, I regret buying a Canon APS-C camera and lenses because I want to switch so I have to start anew.

2. Adam Bonn

Adam Bonn FujiXspot Veteran

Jan 13, 2016
    Porto
    Adam Bonn
    I think you need to rent an XP2 and see

By (superbly) articulating your own question, you've made it unanswerable!

The interchangeable lens cameras are systems, if you jump into the system and like it then great, but if you don't... and no system is perfect

The A7 ranges pretty physically big once you start putting lenses on it and doesn't offer the optical VF of the XP/X100 range

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. BobbyT

BobbyT Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Bobby Tingle
    It really comes down to what and how you shoot. The X-Pro2 does offer the best in versatility. But the x100F has a built in TC. Plus the WCL and TCL. So you would not be limited to just one focal length. My personal preference is for actually changing lenses over physical and digital teleconverters. YMMV.

Adam is spot on about the Sony lenses being larger. Full frame lenses are always larger by nature. Also, Sony lenses are a lot more expensive.

I agree with the suggestion to rent a Pro2 with a lens in the focal length you are interested in.

4. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    I have both. They are comparable but far from equivalent. Each has specific strengths. For example the leaf shutter of the X100F and the weather-resistance of the XPro2.

You say travel is your main interest and use; I would say this, from my own experience. The X100F, with TCL and WCL, is a compact and capable kit for a city break; I took mine to Naples earlier this year and had no complaints. The XPro2 came with me to Sicily a couple of weeks ago and, when not specifically constrained within an urban environment, is by far the better choice through it's greater flexibility.

5. Howie

Howie New to FujiXspot

Jul 23, 2017
    Thanks for the replies. I went and held the xpro 2, xt2, and x100f. I certainly like the viewfinder of the xpro2 more than the xt2.

I think if price is no object, I would buy the x pro 2 and a couple of lenses and see if I am happy with the size and Fuji system. But that does require a substantial investment. The x100f isn't cheap either and if I buy it that would probably be my main camera for the next year or two. It is basically half the price of the x pro 2 + lens combo and its small size would allow me to keep it as a small takeaway camera even if I end up relegating it to secondary duty. It is kind of pocketable. With that said, the xpro 2 does give me the versatility and would already be an improvement over my heavy dslr in terms of size and weight. I don't know.

6. BobbyT

BobbyT Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Bobby Tingle
    @Adam Bonn@Adam Bonn has a very in depth, ongoing review/blog about the X-Pro2. It is definitely worth reading all the way through since you are considering the Pro2.

7. bluzcity

bluzcity FujiXspot Regular Subscribing Member

Jul 24, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Brent
    Just curious, what is it about your Canon system that you don't like?

8. Howie

Howie New to FujiXspot

Jul 23, 2017
    Carrying around a DSLR is just too heavy for me. I have trouble carrying it all day with a shoulder bag and I don't want to always carry a backpack (it's hot as well). Besides, I don't really see much of a way forward as I see the improvements in their APS-C cameras to be incremental in IQ at best.