X100s and Classic Chrome?

Discussion in 'Fuji X100, X100S, and X100T' started by Frenchman, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Frenchman

Frenchman FujiXspot Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    The main thing I lust after in the X100T is the new Classic Chrome. There were rumors that Fuji would put it in the X100S through a firmware update but I have not seen any. Does anybody know if this will come, or if I missed an announcement? I checked Fuji's firmware pages. I am not interested in post processing to get it if, say, Lightroom has it.

Thanks!

2. Koban

Koban FujiXspot Regular

Mar 2, 2015
    Daan
    Sorry I did not see any rumors of that. We asked the Sales Managers Netherlands the same thing two weeks ago. He did not denied it that there is coming such a update. But when its coming.... this I can answer. I am still not sure that it is coming. He confirmed that it worked on the X100S. Some X photographers tested it on there X100S lick Zack. Lets hope its coming soon ;-)

3. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes FujiXspot Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Changsha, Hunan, China
    Colin
    There has been no official word on this or any real credible rumours, just speculation because they could easily do it.

4. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    I guess you are not alone with this and that Fuji may have simply have decided to sell more cameras instead of giving away a free CC firmware update to legacy users.

5. ean10775

ean10775 FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    Agreed - I think the whole 'Kaizen' concept was a nice, feelgood effort by Fuji, but I see less and less of it being implemented as time goes on because in the end, Fuji needs to sell cameras. I can't say I'm not disappointed seeing as I naively bought back into Fuji thinking that my product would continue to be improved, but I certainly can't fault them for wanting to make money rather than give away freebies to existing users. That said, I no longer view Fuji any differently than any other brand.

6. ericdraven

ericdraven FujiXspot Top Veteran

When Billy from the FujiGuys came to Montreal for a Promo at Lozeau I asked him that question and he said the X100S will probably get it but he didn't guarantee it...

7. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    Fuji puts sting support behind cameras that haven't been replaced and are still sold in numbers. The X-T1 just received a major free update, and there are plans for another major free X-T1 update in 2015. This makes perfect sense, as Fuji wants to sell more X-T1 kits and bodies in 2015. However, they can't sell discontinued X100S cameras in 2015, they have to sell the current X100T, and wouldn't it be nice to also update the X100T with new features this summer or fall?

I have just sent a list with DOZENS of firmware improvements for the current lineup of cameras (X-T1, X100T, X30). Fuji has to choose: Either they implement some (or even many) of these new ideas, or they spend their time, money and manpower to bring already existing features of current cameras to old or discontinued models, basically stop innovating and become insignificant within 2-3 year, because neither Sony nor Samsung nor Olympus will stop building new cameras with new features.

Today, there are more than 20 different X camera models. It's impossible to keep the firmware of all these cameras up-to-date.

8. Isoterica

Isoterica FujiXspot Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    It would seem like Fuji should continue updating the camera model before their latest model, at least as far as they are able to. The X100s isn't the t, and firmware won't turn it into one, but it could be brought, software-wise, to its optimum capability. Then should there be a fourth generation X100, updates should move forward to the t. They spit out new versions (except for the xpro) every year so I don't think it's unreasonable that they have firmware updates for two years. Ideally we want updates as long as we can have them because we learn to cherish our cameras and not everyone is made of money no matter how out of date their gear becomes. But one generation seems realistic to me.

Throwing in Chrome, because others have already had hacked X100s cameras that chrome did work on, shouldn't be a huge deal. The scripts been written.

Question is, because they do seem to listen to what their customers want and use that for input on each iteration, do they want to be known as a disposable camera company or as a camera company for the people. The former will eventually earn disfavor.

9. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    I suspect they can live with disfavor as long as it motivates more folks to buy their (superior) current cameras. As a matter of fact, folks used to write in forums and blogs how Fuji just saved them from buying a <insert latest Fuji model here> by providing a free feature update to the preceding model. Personally, I've read this many times, and I fear so has Fuji.

There is a X100S firmware with Classic Chrome (Fuji gave it to some X Photographers), and an update was originally scheduled for last December. However, it seems that Fuji might have reconsidered (at least for now), possibly based on the experience that free feature upgrades for discontinued cameras didn't have a positive effect on the bottom line. Instead, they updated the X-E2 with Classic Chrome, remote control and AF+MF.

If CC is just a nice-to-have option, well, who cares if your camera doesn't have it? Get over it! :)

If CC really is important to you (a killer feature, a must-have), then get an X100T with Classic Chrome and these additional benefits over the X100S:
    • A clean user interface on the inside and outside that doesn’t interfere with your composition, yet displays a plethora of information
    • EVF info display adapts to horizontal or upright camera holding position (sadly, the LCD interface doesn’t change)
    • Quick and easy image review using the focus ring as a control ring to browse through images when zoomed in
    • Aperture ring with 1/3 stop clicks
    • Larger ± 3 EV exposure compensation (EC) dial with more torque
    • Exposure compensation works in manual exposure mode (when Auto-ISO is active)
    • 3 different configurable Auto-ISO settings to choose from
    • “Thumb-wheel”-style command dial à la X-E2
    • Direct AF frame positioning option using the 4 selector buttons
    • 7 customizable Fn buttons, with many functions now working as quick toggles
    • Customizable Quick menu with 16 slots
    • Face detection with auto fall-back to any user-selected AF frame
    • Option to link the spot metering area to the active AF frame (position and size)
    • Seamlessly integrated electronic shutter with 1/32000s maximum shutter speed
    • Larger 3:2 LCD display with improved resolution (sadly, it’s not tiltable)
    • Improved EVF with minimized display lag (realtime view) and much better low light performance (frame rate)
    • Almost perfect WYSIWYG, including auto brightness in the electronic viewfinder (EVF) and full dynamic range (DR) mode simulation in the live view and live histogram
    • Natural Live View option drastically increases the dynamic range of the EVF or LCD screen and is quite helpful when composing a high-contrast scene in bright light
    • Improved optical viewfinder (OVF) with innovative electronic range finder (ERF) feature and real-time parallax correction
    • Good autofocus performance, including object tracking features à la X-T1
    • Improved multi-point AF-S mode
    • Instant-AF supports phase detection autofocus (PDAF)
    • Much larger and hence more robust JPEGs
    • Wifi with remote control for iOS and Android devices; direct Instax printing
    • Electronic shutter release with RR-90 (micro USB) or the microphone input
    • Built-in intervalometer
    • Improved video mode with additional frame rates, full manual control (aperture, shutter speed, ISO) and film simulation support (sadly, no support for the DR function)
    • In-camera USB charging
    • More reliable battery level indicator
    Oh, and you can keep your X100S as long as you like. There's no requirement to dispose of it. ;)

10. Isoterica

Isoterica FujiXspot Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Hubby did give the go ahead for dslr/midrange replacement for my bday which is now over a year ago. We never made vacation (my big 50) so he said go get a camera for the next one. I wouldn't upgrade the X100s for Chrome though the other options were heavily weighed. Thanks for sharing that list with us btw! I think I'm going to go the XT1 route. Having just rented it.. all the dials..the customizable Q, Wifi, fantastic. Used the Fuji M adapter and shot manual (rented lens too) and the experience was great. It could be a good compliment to my X100s.

11. lrusr

lrusr FujiXspot Rookie

Apr 4, 2013
    Northern California
    Jerry Lovejoy
    Rico,
    Has Fuji made a decision about pay-for-upgrade? This idea received quite a bit of attention last fall but little has been heard to date...
    Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  12. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    It would require an update server first. It's not that trivial to implement, but I still like the idea in principle.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ean10775

ean10775 FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    Personally I could care less about Classic Chrome as on firmware update on Fuji cameras because I still don't shoot JPEG as the smoothing of skin in certain scenarios is unacceptable to me. The firmware updates I'd like to see Fuji make to the X100S are less about adding new 'features' that are available in newer cameras and more about fixing things that should have been a certain way in the first place - i.e. the JPEG skin smoothing, the inability to set any minimum shutter speed over 1/125sec and the inability to control exposure in video. To me this isn't the same as adding features that would cannibalize the sales of new cameras, its simply a removal of arbitrary limitations.

Of course Fuji has no obligation to support their non-current line of cameras and we should buy products based on what they can do at the time we buy them and shouldn't necessarily expect them to be improved - I'm fine with that. I just think this whole Kaizen thing came on the back of the big Fuji X100 update and the updates to the X-Pro 1 and X-E1 that improved AF and added focus peaking and set expectations high for future users. Its certainly nice that Fuji is adding features to the X-T1, but I no longer subscribe to the belief that I should spend my money with Fuji because Fuji in contrast to other companies will continue to improve the products I buy from them because clearly that's simply a hit or miss proposition.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  14. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Fair to say that I wouldn't buy any product in the hope - much less the expectation - that it will do anything other than deteriorate in the time I own it both in terms of it's "functional currency" and resale value. While I own something it is in effect valueless; it is only when I come to dispose of it that I may recover some of the initial cost. In the case of the X-Pro1 I didn't buy when it first came out; in fact I didn't actually buy until last Summer, by which point it was a significantly better camera at a significantly lower price and hence a much better value proposition than when first released. I am not by nature an early adopter but I do recognise that if I buy new when something is first bought to market I not only pay a premium for doing so but I also run the risk of snags or functional problems. That's exactly what happened to me when I bought my X10 ("Orbs") and X-T1 (light leak). You pays your money based upon what you are buying now, not on what it might become in the future.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. RT_Panther

RT_Panther FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 2, 2013
    Texas
    The original X100 firmware updates were a pleasant surprise - but arguably required to be competitive.
    Classic Chrome isn't required to be competitive so Fuji might not put it in the "S"...

16. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    We'll see. It must be political, because there definitely is a version of the X100S firmware with Classic Chrome.

17. RT_Panther

Feb 2, 2013
    Texas
    Wouldn't surprise me here.
    That being said, the other side of the coin is "if I'm going to be an early adopter & pay full retail price for the latest body, I want it to be different than previous models"....

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    Indeed. Many buyers of the X100T would probably feel cheated if Fuji released a full-featured update for the X100S in a few months that incorporated everything that can be enhanced by firmware. Sure, there are hardware differences, too, but a lot can be achieved by firmware.

It's also important to note that new firmware features are just as expensive to develop as new hardware features. If not, Adobe etc. could simply give away their software with livelong free updates. After all, it's just software, right?

19. RT_Panther

Feb 2, 2013
    Texas
    Good point!

20. ericdraven

ericdraven FujiXspot Top Veteran

Fuji Rumours posted that there will be no Firmware Updates for the X100S

Don't know how much of it is real fact but I'm one of those disappointed X100S owners...

I myself wrote...

===

"Ok we have both sides... The side that is disappointed with Fujifilm for no more Firmware Updates for the X100S and the side that says Fujifilm doesn't have to provide a Firmware for the X100S...

I am a X100S owner and I'm disappointed but I'll suck it up and deal with it...

Though now the key word is "Trust"

What makes Fujifilm from not pulling this again and again on the existing and future models?

I hope this isn't going that way..."

===

• Agree Agree x 1