X100s + EF-X20 flash off camera delivers.

Discussion in 'Fuji X100, X100S, and X100T' started by Iansky, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Iansky

Iansky FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Ian Lloyd-Grahm
    After recently getting my EF-X20 flash I wanted to try off camera shots to see how they work together.

I used the method advocated by the "Strobist" site, set the camera to JPEG - 100ISO, Aperture priority f2 and ND filter ON - I set the built in flash to commander mode and the power on the EF-X20 to 1/16th power and handheld.

We had a nice sunset so I decided to get my wife to stand on the promenade with pier in the background and took the shot - I used PS for basic editing and a touch of NIK colour Efex pro - result below:

DSCF0214.

I wanted to try it the following day in normal daylight and shooting Raw - set the camera to Raw and 200ISO, Aperture priority f2 and ND filter ON - as before used built in flash in commander mode and power on EF-X20 to 1/8th power and handheld, the results are below:

DSCF0232.

DSCF0233.

DSCF0237.

DSCF0238.

All in all I am pleased with this combo and the EF-X20 delivers enough power to render good results as well as being superbly solid and small enough to carry at all times.

• Like Like x 2
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    Your wife looks great with your flash, Ian - there's a dreamy feel to that first one...the sky in the background, the light on her face and that wonderful green part of the sea wall's railing.

3. Iansky

Iansky FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Ian Lloyd-Grahm
    Thanks BBW,

I am pleased with results and feel they came out better than I had expected with very little "fiddling" to get the exposure balance right.

The EF-X20 is a stunningly well made/solid little unit that works really well and has a good range of controls to cover all occasions - it is small and light so very easy to carry as well.

• Like Like x 1