X100S Video Portraits

Discussion in 'Portrait' started by the sardonic iconic, Feb 14, 2014.

1. the sardonic iconic

the sardonic iconic FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 2, 2013
    NYC
    So after some slight disappointment that the X-T1 STILL won't feature manual control over video mode (I'm still getting one + the 35mm 1.4, though) I realized that I've never given my X100S a fair shot at shooting video. I just assumed it would be a terrible experience, based on what I know about it. In the same spirit of what got me into the Fuji X family to begin with...trying to "push" the lowly X10 to it's limits in terms of capability and expectation with fashion portraits... I decided to see if I could "push" the X100S in the area it is arguably the weakest. While I'm primarily a stills photographer, I do occasionally get bookings for video work, and video portraits are becoming more and more commonplace with agencies. I took advantage of a booking I had earlier this afternoon with my good friend Holly, who was in need of some new headshots. We had about a solid hour of shooting time, and I would switch my X100S into video mode between looks to film.

My conclusion is that the X100S is indeed a terrible camera to do any real video work with. The controls aren't intuitive, the manual focus ring's throw is WAAAY too long, there's a complete lack of shutter speed control, ISO only goes up to a (very noisy) 1600, and the 35mm equiv fov doesn't lend itself well to my shooting style (infact, I used my teleconverter for all but one of these shots) The upsides? Built in ND filter is great for video... though this is nearly a moot point without shutter speed control. 1080p/60fps slows down nicely for some subtle slow-mo work (not appropriate for this kind of video so I didn't include any samples of it). All that being said however, I still enjoyed the experience, either despite it's limitations or because of them and I'll probably create a few more of these, perhaps using the slow-mo capabilities next time.

X100S (Make sure you select "HD" at the bottom!):
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/thesardoniciconic/12529289795/

2. the sardonic iconic

the sardonic iconic FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 2, 2013
    NYC