X100T vs X100S... Major differences?

Discussion in 'Fuji X100, X100S, and X100T' started by Britanica, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Britanica

Britanica FujiXspot Veteran

Sep 22, 2016
    Britanica
    Hi everyone, I am new here and wanted to start by asking about a camera I have been interested in. As of right now I have a Panasonic bridge camera and I am looking to upgrade to a new camera and Fuji has been recommended to me by a lot of people I know.

After looking around, I decided I really liked the X100T. I like the size, the picture quality and the features I have learned about it having. The thing is... The X100S is about $300-400 cheaper online (from what I have seen) and they both share the same lens, sensor, and processor. In other words, they both have the same quality.

I am wondering if there are any key factors in why I would choose the X100T over the X100S? If it is the same lens, wouldn't it make sense to just get the cheaper option?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Begi Nabara

Begi Nabara FujiXspot Regular

Jul 2, 2015
    Basque Country
    The differences are subtle but substantive. I bought the X100T as I needed the possibility for an electronic cable release.
    Also the features for manual focusing in the Optical viewfinder are far superior and very innovative and useful.

Download both the manuals HERE and study the different features.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rayvonn

rayvonn FujiXspot Regular

Jan 6, 2016
    I'm interested to hear some answers too (although it doesn't end there for me, I can't make my mind up between an X100S/T or a reduced priced X-T1.

4. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    I have had the original X100, the 100S and now the T so I feel qualified to give an opinion. I simply didn't get on with the two earlier models. They frustrated and confounded me and got in the way of taking pictures. In no particular order, and from memory, the differences in handling and minor control placement may look slight but are, exactly as Richard says, substantive, and consistent with the UI on other current Fuji cameras. the AF is faster and more accurate, you have three stops of exposure comp, up from 2, 1/3 aperture stops, vastly improved manual focus, a bigger handgrip, easy-to-use wi-fi, USB charging (to which I am a convert) and of course classic chrome film simulation which is worth it on its own.

However... The thing that totally sold me personally was the improved OVF. It is a proper photographers tool, an information centre, giving insight without distraction. Hybrid mode is a revelation. I come from many years of Leica rangefinder use and if they had anything to compare I'd still be there, bit they have not. The X100 was a concept camera, the 100S a beta, and the T the finished product.

Prices? I expect to see a small dip in secondhand values in the next quarter as some numb-nuts owners (as opposed to photographers) dump their X100Ts for the new 23mm f2 lens thinking it makes their interchangeable lens X body into an X100 - it does not. The leaf shutter and compact size sets the X100 apart. Prices will go down and stay down when the X100F comes out next year. 24mp, weather-resistance and a host of other improvements will make it a better camera.

So, in short, in a straight choice between an S and a T, go for the T.

Every. Single. Time.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. rayvonn

rayvonn FujiXspot Regular

Jan 6, 2016
    Thanks Bill, I don't know about @Britanica@Britanica but that's exactly what I was looking for.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Begi Nabara

Jul 2, 2015
    Basque Country
    I don't know where you are, but there's a nearly new X100T in the classifieds here. (from the UK).

7. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    X100F, huh... yowza. You know I still use the original X100 around the house and for walks and stuff. People are so olivious to it... it's wonderfully stealthy.

8. Begi Nabara

Jul 2, 2015
    Basque Country
    Damn right!
    I had mine out just the other day.

29074389143_f0944cec59_c.
    Wall Watching.
    by Begi Nabara, on Flickr

• Like Like x 3
  9. Britanica

Sep 22, 2016
    Britanica
    Thanks I will have a go at that! I have been trying to read up on them online and I didn't even think to look over the manuals. I guess this is the case with a lot of cameras, small differences can make a huge change in use and quality depending on what the person using the camera wants out of it.

10. Britanica

Sep 22, 2016
    Britanica
    Wow I had no idea about some of the stuff you mentioned. Thanks a lot. I guess it is totally worth paying the extra amount. I just thought I would make sure before I dove head first. As mentioned, I have a bridge camera so this is a step up for me. I certainly don't want something that is confusing or aggravating to navigate through. I am still learning after all! Thanks again :)

11. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Just to balance out the conversation, and to add a layer of confusion to your decision, I will throw in my 2 cents (which to be sure is not worth anything :laugh1:).

I still use my original X100. It is WORLD'S better than my wife's Panasonic bridge camera (and yours, too, I can assume). The UI never "gets in my way". The camera feels like an extension of my body, connecting my hand, eye and mind like no other camera I have ever used. Because of that, I was never bitten by the "upgrade bug". It is certainly conceivable that the "improvements" have made the newer models "better cameras", but they haven't made MY X100 take lesser photos since they were released. I have an X-T1 which is clearly a more modern camera with many of the more advanced features and I like it considerably less.

It certainly makes sense to put in one's due diligence when buying a new camera, but I reckon that any of the X100 cameras will produce such fine images that the only true limitation to your growth as a photographer will be the amount of work you put into learning whichever camera you buy and putting in the practice to develop an eye for a photograph.

Good luck with your decision and most importantly have fun.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. bs1946

bs1946 FujiXspot Regular

Mar 12, 2016
    I almost bought an X100 right after the X100S was introduced and the X100 was discontinued, but I procrastinated and wound up with an X-E1 instead. Never got an X-100S. probably because I dislike the control wheel on the back. Now on my second 100T and am determined to leave my X-E2 kit on the shelf and only shoot until the end of the year with the X100T.

I had a silver X100T and it is a beautiful camera. But it was a people magnet; they kept coming up to me to see what kind of old film camera I was taking photographs with. Now I have a black X100T. Not as beautiful, but less noticeable.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Britanica

Sep 22, 2016
    Britanica
    Thanks for your input. And yes, I would imagine these cameras are WAY better. I like Panasonic but they don't match up to Fuji and other brands like Sony. I always heard Sony had the best lenses but based on the pictures I have seen, I think Fuji does it better. That is what brought me here.

As for the modern camera features, I actually prefer ones that are slightly dated back myself. I find it harder to adjust and learn when you have all these pointless extras taking up room and getting in the way LOL

What ever camera I do get, I will be using it for many years so I want to make the best decision for me :)

14. Britanica

Sep 22, 2016
    Britanica
    It comes in silver? Or rather, maybe did? I haven't even seen it in silver. I do love the look of the black one.

Based on what I am learning and the opinions here, I think I am leaning for the T instead of the S series/model.

15. KillRamsey

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    ^ I believe he meant that he had the sliver-and-black one, which is much more common, first. But then he got the all-black version later, and found it drew less attention. There is no all-silver version.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. KillRamsey

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    In practical terms, you've got to weigh out the additional cost of a T version, maybe used, against a used plain old circa-2012 X100. I imagine you could find a mint X100 for $400 without trying hard, now. A mint X100T would be more like $900? So is the $500 now worth it over the course of 2, 3, 4 years? To skip to the end, I'd vote "yes it is." And I say that as a happy X100 owner, since 2012. I already have one, you see, so I'm not in your exact position. For you, you're just getting started. You'll probably want to start with a body with less wear, many extremely nice refinements, and much more recent software. Just the fixes they did to the ISO menus, much less the Classic Chrome colorway for jpgs, would be enough for me. Faster autofocus, too... If you really are likely to use it for 3+ years, the $400-$500 extra now is almost certainly worth it. For me, spending all that $ out of pocket for a T just doesn't make sense... nobody would give me $ for my poor beat up old X100, which means it really would be $900 out of pocket.

17. Britanica

Sep 22, 2016
    Britanica
    Thanks for your take on it. Yeah that is what I was thinking as well. Paying the extra cost for the newer model seems to be a better option if I plan on using this for years to come. I honestly don't want to get another camera for at least 5 years when I get the one I am getting. I read every 3 to 5 years is a good point to upgrade depending on the quality and brand you buy. Cheaper cameras can be upgraded every year to see major improvement, where with these, you can easily wait 5 years before you get any major upgrades to the system/over all quality. But yes, I am a noob and just starting out. I have been saving up for a camera since last year and have been trying to decide on one for like 2 months now. haha

• Like Like x 1
  18. Begi Nabara

Jul 2, 2015
    Basque Country
    You are young, take your time. This is not a race!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    "I was once like you are now, and I know that it's not easy
    To be calm when you've found something going on
    But take your time, think a lot
    Why, think of everything you've got
    For you will still be here tomorrow, but your dreams may not