X20 at $599 or X10 at $379?

Discussion in 'Fuji X10, X20, X30, XF1, and X-S1' started by Biro, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Biro

Biro Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    A friend of mine has become interested in Fuji's X20/X10 family and the current price for new examples of these cameras (at least on Amazon) is $599 for the X20 and $379 for the X10 (which is interestly the same as the going price for a new XF1).

So, of course, my friend asks me which is the better option. I almost defaulted to saying the X20 but I told him to wait a few days until I can ask the best and brightest at both FujiXspot and Serious Compacts. What say ye?

2. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    That depends on what your friend wants to accomplish.

3. Dacalac

Dacalac FujiXspot Veteran

May 1, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    Mike
    +1 to the above. What is he looking to use this camera for?

4. Biro

Feb 1, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    We're talking about the X20/10 here. So we're talking about general walking around, travel use and family snapshots.

5. EBC Wilson

EBC Wilson FujiXspot Regular

Feb 20, 2013
    For me, the X10 NIB at $379 is a no-brainer: That's a steal. You can make great pics with either camera, but they are essentially two different cameras: I think of them like buying the same car with either a gas or a diesel engine.

If this guy is quite a ways along in his digital photography, has a PP 'suite', and is really serious about this stuff, there's more support for X20, and the XTrans output is more like the XPro, X100S, etc. If he really just wants a walk-around camera, is not geeked-out to have the latest/greatest, and has his prints done SOOC at Costco, and wants to save some $$$, again, for me the X10 at that price is a steal.

And again, for me, if the guy is a rank beginner, steer him to a Canon P+S: These aren't the best 'Auto Everything Idiot Proof Your Mom Likes It' cameras.

6. depscribe

depscribe FujiXspot Regular

Feb 17, 2013
    Unless he is especially interested in manupulating RAW files, in my view there is no question -- he should get the X10. Indeed, having gotten an X20 and used it for a couple days I returned it and still have and use my X10, which I would prefer even if they were the same price.

7. Biro

Feb 1, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    The X10 price is down to $349 now. I have recommended it to my friend. One last question from him: Is the hybrid phase detection/contrast detection autofocus of the X20 that much better than the AF on the X10?

8. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    Not $250 better, I'd say.

9. Biro

Feb 1, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Okay, then.

10. depscribe

depscribe FujiXspot Regular

Feb 17, 2013
    In my (brief) X20 experience, better/faster focusing was something I was looking for, but did not observe it. It is supposedly mathematically quicker and better than the X10, but as a practical matter the two are at least very close. Nor did the (occasional) times when the X10 could not lock focus cease in the X20. Then again, I was shooting in available darkness -- really low light -- with both cameras, and must confess that I was sometimes surprised that either of them made a picture at all. Something has happened with sensors in the last couple of years -- say since the release of the X100 -- that allows digital cameras to far surpass film in low-light shooting. (I mostly shoot D7100s, and I am constantly surprised at how good they are in very low light. So it's not just a Fuji thing, though I think Fuji led the way.)

11. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger