Panasonic Shooter's observations on the LX5 (no, not another techie review)

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
all right, all right, let's just get to the meat of the camera. We doin need no techie stuff in these here words to follow... well, maybe just a few.

The LX5 fits in my jeans pocket very easy. oh, sorry... I wear Levi's Straight Leg...works with or without a taper. The pocket has very easy enter and exit procedure.
Why do I mention this? Ok, now I have a camera that I can carry anywhere, anytime...so can you ... so no excuses for not getting images from the real world.

I use a small wrist strap and it is very comfortable. The thumb does not hit any buttons without wanting to. No moving of the rear control dial either, without wanting to. This is critical in smaller camera design.

Pay close attention to the Aspect Ratio switch after pocket exiting procedure. It has a sense of humor and will surprise you if your not on top of your game. Sometimes the top Mode selector dial plays the same game. This is not critical but I would like to see some kind of locking system... NO!!!...do not use crazy glue.... Been there Done that!
Crazy Glue is an unacceptable locking system!!!

The Power management guys in the camera, often know as the battery. I can't kill it. I tried and tried... I surrendered and stopped counting images to see when the sucker would die...it won't. I screwed up and bought an extra battery, so now I have a double headache. Ya can't kill the battery under normal use. I did around 250 images...flash, checked the screen a few times...(other word for screen checking procedure not allowed on this thread)...
still the battery taunts me by showing 2/3 full... it's been a week and it ain't a pretty site I tell ya.... What goods the charger if ya don't need to use it that much....geeze!

The step zoom... ah haa....yep, this here be the S**T! I have the camera setup so that the lens will resume to it's last focus distance. I set the step zoom to step zoom...hmmm... Now the tricky thing....
Set the AE/AF button...The one next to the PLAY button to...
AF only. Ya can do this in the menu rather easy...
This is the FOCUS LOCK!
If you use this button to pre-focus or to LOCK focus then..remember that the focus is locked and the shutter release only does the metering...You must unlock the AF Button by hitting it again if you want to change focus.

So... now it's time to walk on the street... we focus the camera to a determined focus distance with the AF button and then set the Aspect Ratio to (me...35mm) you?
If you stay in "A" Mode, now the camera will stay at the focused distance and aspect that you set and you just point and shoot. See, $500.00 gets you a real nice adjustable Point & Shoot...hmmm

If the camera powers off, when it awakes...it will return to the settings it was at when it fell asleep... The camera does not take Melatonin so it wakes fast with no hangover...

Files.... We ain't even discussing this too much...Ya like clams? Eat it RAW.. don't like em RAW... go to another thread...beat it.. or just watch us eat it RAW!

Paul
10-10-0102-Edit.jpg

more later...

Don, did you have a couple of extra Konas this morning? Love your observations, set up descriptions and special flavor - fortunately, I do like clams on the half shell.:D

This is one of the best things about this forum - we've got members posting about cameras from all different points of view. The LX5 is getting a great work out here from Amin's exposé, Vince's more personal diary, Karen's photographic impressions, to Mal's, Javier's...and now we've got Shooter's down and dirty take.:D The more the better, to create a 3D view of this little pocketable (for those of us with literally deeper pockets) camera.(y)

Observe on!

The smiley simply meant..... I personally did not understand it.... please dont read anything more into it.... the images are good even after reflection.... as you put it

Mal.

I think Don's review has a great deal of humor in it. It made me laugh out loud early in the morning, and yet I came away with some important facts due to his impressions - along with some great photos. It's important to remember that we don't all always share the same language or the same humor.

Vive la difference!

Let's continue the discussion of the LX5. I've been playing around with one for several days...just around where we live since I work from home a great deal and am still unable to drive or walk very far. (Sympathy votes encouraged!) I really do like the camera thanks to Don's helping me set it up and his explanation about how to deal with the sometimes color cast that happens.

My favorite things are the focus button that can narrow the focus point down to a really tiny "box" and the ability to lock focus while being able to move the camera in order to expose properly. This may seem like a really simple thing to you all, but coming off the wonderful Leica X1 which does not offer this - it was a revelation!

I enjoy having the step zoom because it makes me think more, rather than just pressing and zooming. I also like the fact that it offers a Macro focus option, as well.. I'm not going to outline everything because between Amin, Vince and Don's dedicated review threads, I think they've covered the controls quite well.

In addition, the lens is extremely crisp. The LCD is very bright, and it looks great, as someone else noted earlier, with the camera being set to Dynamic Black and White. I've posted a couple of shots on the image thread. My common problem is remembering to keep the ISO low but the LX5 did pretty good at ISO 640 in color, with me behind the controls.

My only reservation is its size. I wish it were a bit smaller...but we'll see.;)

Allrighty... This ain't a review. Amin did that way better than I want to.
This is my observations on a camera that seems crude or even spaced out bit it ain't.
I'm a shooter. I exhibit and sell work, I teach....
So, I write about what a camera FEELS like and how it works with my 3 elements of image making.
1. The Eye
2. The Heart
3. The Mind
If a camera fails any 1 area, it's dead!

Another observation, if I may? Don, I hope it's AOK that I'm adding on a few of my own observations here. I ordered the Panasonic electronic viewfinder to try with this camera...the one that people with the GF1 often use. I'm definitely not keeping it. From my point of view it isn't worth the extra money. I wear progressive lenses and had been hoping that this EVF would be like the Olympus version. It is not. So back it goes ASAP. Fortunately the LCD is very good and very clear even for my not so hot eyesight.(y)

The more I use this little LX5, the more I do like it. I think I may convince myself that the Canon S95 wouldn't fit in my jeans pocket either. Hmm, these are LL Bean jeans - maybe I'll have to switch bluejeans makers?:D

BB,
Thanks for the jeans report. Dunno, I'm a Levi's guy.
At any rate entrance and exiting procedures with Levi's works fine.
Be careful of the lens cap. It's a tight fit but sometimes on pocket exiting procedure, it can fall off.

Compact drumroll - just FYI, I'm keeping this camera and instead of buying the viewfinder, I'm splurging on the Leica D-Lux4 case which thanks to a post by Nippa over on the L. Camera forum, I know will work. Now if Mt. Fuji doesn't bring forth the X100 for a a long time, or it's not for me, I have a lovely little jewel to use. Thank you to Amin, Vince, Don, and all you others out there who've given so much feedback on this camera, as well as its clone.;)

Don...

Just been on your website.... really good layout and a lot of fantastic shots....

Tell me... how is street photography in the U.S. ??? I find that here in the U.K. we have reached a moment in time, that when you point a camera at someone in the street (especially a child) you are regarded as some sort of 'pervert'.

General misinformation over 'human rights' and the consent of individuals are rife.... and explaining that a person cannot expect privacy in a public place, just doesn't seem to do the trick.... with some people.

What are your own thoughts on this ???

Mal.

Thanks Don.
I will need to try the step zoom, though I do not know how often I will use it. I would say that 95% of my images are all at 24mm.
The battery life is impressive to me. I have a high speed 2 gig card in their (I do not shoot video ever) and can fill the card with a full battery and have a bar left.
So I believe it is some 465 captures.

Is there a way to turn off the rear LCD? It bugs to see it on all the time. I had it off in my G9 and G10 for street shooting.

For anyone who might be sitting on the fence, the LX5 is currently being offered at B & H Photo for $449.00 with free shipping.:)

P.S. Extra "enabling", I have read elsewhere about getting a Lightroom "upgrade" when buying this camera there. Naturally it's for a price, but if someone is in the market and doesn't want Elements, there might be a way to pay a bit more and get LR, while not paying full price for LR, if you follow me. As I said, this is hearsay - but certainly worth asking about.

Back