X20 best adaptive compact?

Discussion in 'Fuji X10, X20, X30, XF1, and X-S1' started by xtreamSUPERKING, Mar 11, 2013.

1. xtreamSUPERKING

xtreamSUPERKING New to FujiXspot

Mar 11, 2013
    Is the X20 the best camera for handeling a variety of situations?

Background:
    I am traveling in summer through over 20 countries in europe and i am in the market for the first time for a high/ish end camera. I very much want a great all-rounder that remains compact. I will be taking landscapes and street photography, and there will need to be good low light performance too. Am i asking too much from just one camera? The Sony RX100 is an alternative, but i need guidance!

All i ask is what people might use for such an application and perhaps why. Maybe get a good discussion on the pros and cons of the X20 for the job too?

Thanks in advance

(ps. i love a bokeh and vibrant colour) :D

2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Near Philadephila
    • Like Like x 1
  3. xtreamSUPERKING

Mar 11, 2013
    Thanks Ray. This is very good thread! Seems to confirm my wishes and fears for the X20. Both seem so suited for the task, but only time will tell if the IQ is there for the X20. If it does all that fuji say, then it should be a winner. I pray for better battery life though :l

4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Near Philadephila
    Even if it only matches and doesn't surpass the X10, I would still find it a better option than the RX100, having owned both as explained in that thread. No small sensor compact is going to be great for narrow depth of field / bokeh, but the faster lens of the X20 would be somewhat better than the RX100 at the long end, where it will be most achievable. Narrow DOF is also achievable in macro shooting, which the RX100 isn't particularly good at and the X10/X20 excel at.

-Ray

• Like Like x 2
  5. xtreamSUPERKING

Mar 11, 2013
    I never thought of it like that, but your right. I just thought f/1.8 will be better than f/2.0 (only slightly) but at the tele end where it more likely to matter (as im not brave enough to stick a camera in some strangers face) the fuji is so much better at f/2.8 than sony's f/4.9 i believe.

I assume you can still get some defocused backgrounds at f/2.8?

6. Pav

Pav FujiXspot Regular

Mar 4, 2013
    Detroit
    Pavlos
    Being a relative newb to photography and never having used any Sony camera I can't help with a comparison, but I can say I did a bit of travel last year and bought the X10 just for that. The look and feel of the Sony's didn't appeal to me so I went with the X10 and couldn't be happier with the way it performed, it's ergonomics and compact size when traveling. 20 countries sounds amazing. I was lucky to go to 2, but am so glad I had the X10 for that.

The only thing I brought with the X10 was a smallish lowepro bag with side and front pockets (plus internal pocket), gorillapod, 2 extra batteries and one extra charger just in case. Oh, and one Gordy's wriststrap. You can see my travel pictures in my stream, but be aware that better quality could probably be achieved by a seasoned photog. I was learning on the fly, especially in Argentina since I had bought the camera just a few days before. Good luck and happy travels!

7. the sardonic iconic

the sardonic iconic FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 2, 2013
    NYC
    It's possible, but it's not exactly pretty. But yes, the X20 does a much better job at narrow DOF subject isolation than the RX10.

View attachment 10685
    View attachment 10686