X20 images and "watercolor" effect

Discussion in 'Coffee with Rico Pfirstinger, Fuji X-Pert' started by jdub, Apr 1, 2013.

1. jdub

jdub FujiXspot Rookie

Mar 30, 2013
    Texas
    Hi Rico,

You've no doubt seen some of the comments and samples online regarding some of the X20 JPEG images that show smearing of colors or a "watercolor" effect. It seems that many have decided the only way to avoid this effect is to shoot RAW.

While some of the samples I've seen appeared to be pixel peeping to degree that may not effect most users I've also seen some very clear problems on sample portrait images that were fairly easily visible at the resolutions where you would normally view these images.

I haven't noticed the problem with my own X20 images but I also shot thousands and thousands of images with my X10 without ever seeing an ORB, so I do believe it can be a problem--because there are images out there--but it may be something that doesn't appear in my normal day to day shooting.

Any thoughts?

Jerry

2. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    These issues are related to not optimal DR settings, NR settings and sharpening settings.
    For JPEGs out of the camera, I recommend noise reduction -1 or -2 and DR100% (max. DR200%). You may also want to tweak the sharpening settings to taste.