Which operating system(s) run on your electronic devices ?

I always kept running my PC.s on XP pro - would never upgrade to the more "modern" Windows stuff - but I left PCs about 9 months ago

Now that I've moved to the Mac, it's Snow Leopard OS X and I upgraded my MBP from Leopard to Snow Leopard in December

If I buy another (additional) Laptop I will go for the smallest Mac Air - after using and seeing one it is just the best "mobile" device, for my uses, that I have seen - OK it's expensive, but I'm retired and may as well enjoy myself

Thanks Bill, there are many attacks etc on the WWW. Any attacks on Mac's ?
I'm busy cleaning my laptop computers with claeners, combofix, mbam, trojan remover, etc.
It takes (too) much time.

Thanks Bill, there are many attacks etc on the WWW. Any attacks on Mac's ?
I'm busy cleaning my laptop computers with claeners, combofix, mbam, trojan remover, etc.
It takes (too) much time.

Herman - I hardly spend ANY time on that sort of stuff since I moved over to the "fruity side"

Hi Herman,

These days any machine I use to connect to the internet is running a Linux operating system, either Fedora for my pc on which I do most of my photographic post processing or Puppy Linux on a couple of laptops. My only windows pc is still running Windows 2000 for my occasional use of Photoshop 7, which these days is used mainly for compiling maps for my natural history survey work or for printing photographic images. This machine is not connected to the internet.

In the last 15 years some 130,000 viruses have been written targeting Windows, less than 50 that target Linux, speaks for itself.

Barrie

Hmm - where do I start
4 PC's with Win7
2 laptops running Win7
1 old laptop running Ubuntu
1 x Nokia N900, multi boot into either Meamo, Android or Meego depending on my mood!

I have a love/hate with apple, love their design, hate their philosophy towards their software and the jesus cult/fanboi culture..
Im not trying to start a flame war, just 20yrs in IT and Im a bit set in my ways :):rolleyes:

Since 1986 I use macs and I don't spend time using trojan removers or virus software.
No problems encountered so far. Of course I am careful with emails from unknown sources.
I have programmed some rules to find possibly infected emails.
One of the ways Apples makes the situation safer, is by not showing the pictures of possibly
infected mails automatically.
Jan

Macbook Pro OSX 10.6.6 Knock on cyberwood, I've never had a virus since my first computer in the early 1980s - a MAC SE. I do have a virus protector by Intego Virus Barrier X6 but I don't think it has ever had to attack anything. I like to see it's little castle's turret icon up at the top of my toolbar however.;)

Power mac using 10.5.8 so I can still use Freehand10 and a macbook pro for mobile computing and of course an iPhone :D Thinking of getting a 13" macbook air to replace the pro.
I haven't used windows system for years but am amused to see that they are now trying to make them as much like a mac to use as they can.

I use several flavors of Linux on various machines for various reasons, but my main PC which I use for internet use and photography uses Windows 7. I have been using Windows since 3.1 and have never had any issues with a virus, trojan, or anything else of worry. I can build a windows/linux box with everything I want/need for far less than what Apple wants.

It is pretty easy to stay virus free, don't use pirated software, avoid shady websites, and avoid emails with attachements you don't know.

Also FWIW for many years now the various free email programs that Microsoft puts out with windows also will not automattically download pictures

Okay, thanks for your replies. Does this mean that I must go to the fruity side of life, going green that is ?

How about the iPad to start with ?

Windows Vista, Windows 7, Android. Like Wally I have had no problems with viruses, trojans, malware etc. I run free antivirus (Avira) and free security software (Ad-Aware). It's a matter of common sense.

Mac OS for home computers (4 in total) and iOS for wife's iPhone and my soon-to-be-purchased iPhone. Work gives me a Dell laptop running XP and a Blackberry cell. I also have a Kindle for books (I guess it's the Kindle OS???)

Had been a PC user (actually built my own custom PCs) until 2008. Switched, and have been happy, though Win 7 seems like a good OS. Still, not having to run spyware, etc. is excellent. My brother (works for HP in solutions division) keeps saying "someday there will be a virus for Mac" -- well, I've no doubt, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Until then, life is good on the fruity side (as BillN says).

Because of that, I use Lightroom instead of Apple's Aperture, so I can move back to PC if needed.

Okay, thanks for your replies. Does this mean that I must go to the fruity side of life, going green that is ?

How about the iPad to start with ?

Hi Herman

I had an iPad wifi, but sold it. It's FANTASTIC for e-mail and web surfing and games. It's not as good for productivity, but if you travel A LOT it might be better.

You can't really do much photo editing on it. It was because of this that I kept using my laptop until I decided I didn't want to deal with both. If they ever release a tablet PC where you can edit pics (sufficient processor and memory, calibrate-able screen, and sufficient resolution screen), then the form factor and user interface is great. But I don't travel enough to warrant the iPad and I was too distracted by it's entertainment qualities, so I sold it. YMMV.

One Titanium Powerbook G4 from 2002 runs with OS-X Tiger, two MBP OS-X SnowLeo, a MacMini o.n OS-X Tiger for scanning

Edit:

my son as a teacher is using his iPad with this software to manage his classes. Very fast compare to the spreadsheets manually maintained...

TeacherTool

I built this computer about a month ago and it has Win 7 Pro 64 OEM on it. My wife's Dell laptop is XP pro. My Droid X is Android. I've run Ubuntu a few times to try it out but don't like all the hoops you have to jump through to get the drivers running right.

Back