X20 optical viewfinder performance?

Discussion in 'Fuji X10, X20, X30, XF1, and X-S1' started by otalp, Mar 3, 2013.

1. otalp

otalp FujiXspot Regular

Feb 8, 2013
    Germany
    Now that the first units are sold, folks discuss image quality of the brandnew X20 versus the X10. It's about the EXR versus the X-Trans and about improved out-of-camera jpeg. However, to me the image quality of both cameras seems to be very good.

But what about the improved optical viewfinder of the X20? How does it perform in daily shooting? Is it worth heading for the X20 instead of getting along with the X10?

2. Biro

Biro Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Any real-world information about the output and operation of the X20 will be extremely useful. I may be ordering one at the end of the month.

3. Finn McCool

Finn McCool New to FujiXspot

Feb 2, 2013
    My favorite photographer blogger is Ming Thien http://blog.mingthein.com
    He has an X20 on order and has commented about it in his recent recommended gear post:

"Handled it [X20] again today; was at my dealer and he said local stock arrived yesterday. Nearly bought it. Didn’t, because I know I’m getting a long term loaner. But the finder really does make a difference for me – and AF is positively brisk. On par with or faster than the OM-D, in my opinion. Test files I’m looking at now are pretty good with the latest version of ACR, too." I'm waiting for a full review, but so far so good...

• Like Like x 1
  4. cherrywood

cherrywood FujiXspot Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Ohio
    +1 on Mings reviews as a real world photog. Looks like the beginnings of another nice Fuji, Its so great that Fuji seems to really listen to customers and then makes changes for product improvement. Will also continue reading with interest on the new X20 as I sold my x10 in anticipation of the coming X20.

Dennis.

5. otalp

otalp FujiXspot Regular

Feb 8, 2013
    Germany
    This is indeed an interesting site. Nevertheless, aren't there any further first-hand experiences with the X20's OVF? Isn't the additional information that useful? Better stick with the EXR sensor of the X10 then?

6. Jimbo70

Jimbo70 FujiXspot Regular

Feb 8, 2013
    Orange Park, FL.
    So far most of the comments about the X20 that I have seen are about the image quality and AF speed. The image quality comments seem to be "about like the X10" and the AF speed "much better".

7. otalp

otalp FujiXspot Regular

Feb 8, 2013
    Germany
    This is my impression, too. Probably, there are still too few people actually shooting with the X20 ...

8. depscribe

depscribe FujiXspot Regular

Feb 17, 2013
    If the image quality is even as good -- or better -- than the X10 (with none of that silly 6mp stuff), and the viewfinder and AF speed are much better, there's cause to upgrade, I think.

9. otalp

otalp FujiXspot Regular

Feb 8, 2013
    Germany
    Well, I wouldn't call the 6 mp modes silly, just because the EXR sensors follow a non-mainstream approach. However, exposure and focus information in the OVF has proved to be useful in past analog cameras.

• Like Like x 1