X20 to replace Pentax DSLR?

Discussion in 'Fuji X10, X20, X30, XF1, and X-S1' started by SuperSonic, Mar 8, 2013.

1. SuperSonic

SuperSonic New to FujiXspot

Mar 8, 2013
    Hi folks,

I've had my Pentax k-x DSLR for a few years and have been using it less recently. I was initially thinking about getting a csc but in reality I'll probably only get a kit lens (maybe a panasonic with the little powered zoom). Then I wondered whether an x20 would be a better option for me - if I'm not planning on buying several lenses, why have the CSC?

Anyway, what think you all? Anyone else replaced a DSLR with an X10 or X20?

2. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    If you really only would use the kit lens, I don't think a DSLR offers much better IQ. Especially if you are comparing it to one that is a couple years old. If you're in a financial position to buy one without selling the Pentax, I'd say give it a shot and hang onto the Pentax in case you're not happy with the give and take.

3. SuperSonic

SuperSonic New to FujiXspot

Mar 8, 2013
    Thanks Luke, I *think* that the Pentax is going whatever I decide.

It's now a choice of getting either an X20 or a GX1 with 14-42 powered zoom as replacement.

4. ean10775

ean10775 FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    You may want to steer clear of the 14-42 powered zoom. There have been some documented issues with the design of that lens if I recall correctly. Perhaps someone can provide more insight or point to the appropriate thread(s) on the mu43 forum.

5. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy FujiXspot Regular

Feb 4, 2013
    Herefordshire, England
    Martin Connolly
    You might also want to look at the Sony NEX-6 with the 16-50 if you like a powered zoom