X20 X-pectations

Discussion in 'Fuji X10, X20, X30, XF1, and X-S1' started by Armanius, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Armanius

Armanius FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Texas
    Muttley
    I preordered the X20, and I'm hoping that it will be the "ultimate" serious compact camera ever. The two improvements over the X10 that I'm looking forward to the most is the optical viewfinder and new AF system. In my X10, I rarely used the OVF, because there was no information about shutter speed, f-stop, and focus confirmation. It is a nice OVF compared to other compact cameras, but the lack of information made it less useful. Fuji listened to its customer base and changed that by pushing the technology boundary for compact cameras. The addition of phase detect to the AF system should hopefully bring Fuji up to par with other AF systems. The X10's AF was actually not too shabby relative to the X100, XPro1 and XE1 (when not using the 18-55). But the phase detect will hopefully help primarily in low light situations and CAF, which has been an inherent weakness in contrast detect AF systems. Can't wait to try out the X20! And I'm sure I'll say the same thing about the X30!

2. dixeyk

dixeyk Guest

I really like my X10 but I'm hoping for better RAW support for the X20 (I realize that's not Fuji's fault).

3. demiro

demiro FujiXspot Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    PA-USA
    Dean
    It's funny, I really want the X20 even though the upgrades don't knock my socks off. I've grown accustomed to the "naked" ovf. The lack of anything in there is almost a nice lack of distraction, though I would prefer what the X20 will bring. Regarding AF, I never thought the X10 was slow. In fact, I thought it was pretty good for a point and shoot camera. I'm not shooting a lot of fast action with it, and almost never have used AF-C, so maybe I've just avoided the issue.

The big potential hook for me is the sensor. And of course we really have to see that performance in the wild before drawing any conclusions. I like what the X10 does with it's EXR black magic. I shoot JPEGs and the ouput rewards that. But if the X-Trans sensor makes a noticeable difference I will be hard-pressed not to go for it. The much-improved video capabilities would be a nice bonus, but won't drive a purchase decision.

4. dixeyk

dixeyk Guest

I feel similarly, the X20 doesn't seem all that wowie relative to the X10 (on paper). I love the X10 but the X20 does seem very appealing. It's one of those cameras that wouldn't be so much of an upgrade because I'd likely keep the X10 as well but an acquisition.

5. Wolf

Wolf New to FujiXspot

Feb 1, 2013
    I smell gas :p

• Like Like x 2
  6. demiro

demiro FujiXspot Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    PA-USA
    Dean
    Don't light a match -- the whole damn internet will blow up.

• Like Like x 2
  7. ChrisR

ChrisR New to FujiXspot

Feb 1, 2013
    I guess one of the sad things about the X20 is it makes it less likely we get good raw support for the X10, as its sensor will be seen as one with no future. There's a bit of concern that the XTrans sensor will not get good raw investment from the big guys because the numbers of cameras just aren't there compared with bayer sensors. I hope this isn't true. But I'm a bit worried that the X20's smaller sensor will be sufficiently different not to get good raw support even if the big guys do!

8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Near Philadephila
    The sensor is the big question to me. The AF and OVF improvements look nice, but the only way I'd think about buying one is if the sensor is significantly better and pretty much matches the quality of the RX100. I'm OK with jpegs - that's what I shoot with the X-Pro and I really like Fuji jpegs a lot. But none of us really know how good the quality will be - we know what an X-Trans will do, but not a small X-Trans.

But if I should win the one the forum is giving away, I'll be happy to give it a good solid workout! :cool:

-Ray

9. Armanius

Armanius FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Texas
    Muttley
    My thoughts exactly about RAW support. Hope to be wrong though.

10. Snix

Snix FujiXspot Rookie

Feb 1, 2013
    Australia
    I don't know if it is true, but apparently Fujifilm haven't been that helpful to software developers in helping them add the RAW capabilities. Maybe because their deal with SilkyPix?

11. Biro

Biro Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I'm another one who doesn't mind sticking with jpgs, especially as Fuji does a very good job with them (kind of like Olympus). But I truly hope the X20's sensor will offer a net gain over the X10.

12. Finn McCool

Finn McCool New to FujiXspot

Feb 2, 2013
    I'm not concerned about RAW support. I just want great JPEGs, and Fuji has always delivered them. My bugaboo about compact cameras has always been speed, and I'm assuming that Fuji is telling the truth about the X20's autofocus. I'm not concerned about image quality because I think that virtually ALL of the current compacts have image quality that is adequate for my purposes.