X20 + X100 or X10 + X100S?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Shawn_G, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Shawn_G

Shawn_G FujiXspot Rookie

Feb 10, 2013
    Wine Country, CA
    I'm hoping to get an X camera soon and was wondering what most of the users here would choose based on the title of this thread? I'm currently leaning toward the X20 leaving the X100S out of the question for this year, but I could possibly pick up an X100 once the prices drop a bit more.

Any thoughts are appreciated...

2. garylh

garylh FujiXspot Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    I went Sony rx100 route. I have x100 and xp1. I felt the x10 was too big, too close to x100. I don't plan to pick up the x190s. I still like the x100 enough to keep it until it dies. Will replace it w/ whatever the x109s like camera is when the time comes. But if I were to do it from scratch, it would be the x100s. Their are two advantages over te x19 versus x20, xtran sensor which should give better high iso and new heads up display. But still that being said, my purpose for the rx100 is a put in my front pocket take anywhere and forget camera. The xf1 from Fuji it's that better than the x10 or x20. If they ever put a xtrans sensor in the xf1, I might consider it, but only after my rx100 dies.

Gary

3. garylh

garylh FujiXspot Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Opps

Replace x109 w/ x100 and x19 w/ x10..

Gary

4. Shawn_G

Shawn_G FujiXspot Rookie

Feb 10, 2013
    Wine Country, CA
    Thanks for the input Gary. I do have my m43 gear still, but would need to sell a piece or two in order to get the X100S while the X20 I could get now.

5. demiro

demiro FujiXspot Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    PA-USA
    Dean
    Shawn, that is an interesting question. Really depends on your shooting priorities of course, as well as what other gear you have. Also depends on just how good the X100S and X20 are vs the original models.

For me, I suppose I'd be leaning X20 + X100. Mostly because the 35mm FL is not huge for me. I'd use the X20 a bit more, so money would be better spent there.

6. Archiver

Archiver FujiXspot Rookie

Feb 5, 2013
    The X20 is still a bit of an unknown quantity as the sensor is so much smaller than the current aps-c X-Trans found in the X-Pro 1 and X-E1. The X100S' image 'look' should be fairly easy to predict based on current X-Trans images, but I am wary of predicting how the X20's images will look.

If we assume the best case scenario, the X20 will produce images of a similar colour signature to the X-Pro 1, albeit with longer depth of field and perhaps less dynamic range and 'richness', in much the same way that small sensor cameras differ from aps-c's. It will also have much faster and more accurate AF than the X10, as well as better movie mode. All in all, it ought to be a great camera, but I would really want to see lots of images and raws before buying one. Having said that, I was literally first on the list to get my X10, sight unseen!

As for the X100, I've been shooting with mine a fair bit of late, and I'd forgotten just how nice the files are, not to mention easy to process in Lightroom. The X100S, with its X-Trans II sensor, will likely necessitate Capture One or (ugh) Silkypix to coax the most from the raws. No Lightroom for you!