X70 - the first week

Discussion in 'Fuji X100, X100S, and X100T' started by MiguelATF, Aug 2, 2017.

1. MiguelATF

MiguelATF New to FujiXspot

Jul 11, 2017
    After previous enjoyable ownership forays with two other fine, high-quality APS-C compact cameras with fixed 28mm equivalent lenses - the Ricoh GR and the Nikon Coolpix A - I gave in to some unnameable impulse and recently purchased a lightly used x70 whose owner was selling it at an extremely reasonable price.

Have had it for a week now and...it's growing on me. Pun intended, as it is a relatively small camera, obviously.

But since a picture theoretically is worth a thousand words, here are a few photos from my first week of x70 use and ownership -

First a shopwindow for an eclectic thriftstore -

Shop Window.

Then a closer view of the quite lifelike mannequin in the same window -

Tattoo face in window.

A different angle on the mannequin, this time with a high-contrast monochrome conversion -

Tattooed Mannequin.

Graffiti art on a garbage dumpster in an alleyway -

Dumpster face.

A rural address sign -

Automobile address sign.

A rural cattle crossing sign -

Cattle Xing.

The rusted machinery gracing the front of another old rural homestead -

Rusted rural machinery.

Yet another shopwindow, this one with a beanie-wearing mannequin with cool psychedic glasses -

Psychedelic shop window Head.

A classic old Chevy, on the street in a small Oregon town -

Chevy.

Another even older classic car, also on another street -

The car that time forgot.

A stuffed dog in a local emporium -

Stuffed_Dog.

A candid shot of a visiting friend wearing her Wolverine superhero hoodie -

Masked_Girl.

And last but not least a very low-light self-portrait of the photographer aka yours truly -

So far so good... ;)

MirrorImageEgamiRorrim.

• Like Like x 7
  2. MiguelATF

Jul 11, 2017
    Oh, yes, and to give credit where credit is due....here is the camera itself!
    x70.

• Like Like x 2
  3. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    Nice work. So you enjoy using it well enough?

4. MiguelATF

Jul 11, 2017
    Yes. It feels more 'right' to me than either the Coolpix or the Ricoh. Both of which were and are truly fine cameras. But the Coolpix was a little too Nikon-y (unlike many former DSLR-users, I was never in the Nikon camp) for me...and the Ricoh, with its menus within menus and options within options was almost a little too persnickety for me. Whereas the x70 just seems....simple....and quite usable, for the different types and styles of photography which I do.

5. davidzvi

davidzvi FujiXspot Regular

Apr 24, 2014
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I really like the 1/2 case I have on mine, adds just a bit more grip. I also have a bubble level in the hot shoe which I find nicer than turning the level on and off.

20170802_223334.

• Like Like x 4
  6. MiguelATF

Jul 11, 2017
    The bubble level looks sweet. And (obviously) practical, too ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. davidzvi

davidzvi FujiXspot Regular

Apr 24, 2014
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    It's not as effective as some of those big multi tube things. But since it doesn't really take up any more space than the shoe cap, it's worth it. And since this one was about $6.50 for two.....

8. Iansky

Iansky FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Ian Lloyd-Grahm
    Great to read of someone else using and enjoying the X70, it is a silent shooter and so small people tend to ignore me when I am shooting with mine. A camera this small that delivers the same IQ as the X100T is superb and makes it an easy carry pocket unit.

I do wonder if Fuji will ever release and upgrade with the new sensor?

9. MiguelATF

Jul 11, 2017
    I must say, the IQ and tonal qualities of this particular (current) sensor are quite superb, IMHO....and also, the fact that it's been either discontinued or practically superseded, by newer, supposedly more capable sensors, is I think part of the reason why prices of used x70's are starting to come down a little. Which is, obviously, a good thing for photographers like myself, with relatively limited funds. It's entirely possible a newer model might have improved image or sensor capabilities but it would also have a significantly higher price, I'm guessing. Incidentally something similar happened, marketwise, back when Nikon was marking the late (but truly outstanding) compact camera, the Coolpix A (like the x70 a small, superb camera with an unbelievable lens and a great sensor). Initially the Coolpix A was priced significantly higher than Ricoh's (also great) APS-C GR, which meant that quite a few people simply didn't buy it.

Though, it's not merely a case of apples and oranges, since some of the x70's features - the oh-so-cool touch screen, the elegant and quite functional array of physical dials and controls - all contribute, I think, to its usability. And I'm speaking as a former owner of both the APS-C GR and the Coolpix A - both of which were and are capable of amazing photographs. But the x70, even with its older (borderline outdated?) sensor...is a great camera.

10. MiguelATF

Jul 11, 2017
    One more shot, taken wide open, which shows that in spite of its wiiiiide wide-angle nature, the 28mm equivalent lens of the x70 is indeed capable of some pleasing semi-bokeh visual effects -

Abandoned_Shoes.

• Like Like x 1