XE-1 16mm - 55mm Portrait B/W.

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by Bruce Gillham, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Bruce Gillham

Bruce Gillham New to FujiXspot

Aug 26, 2015
    I don`t mind this pic, but I know it could be a lot better. mmmm got to re-evaluate.
    ..........200 ISO, 1/1600th, f:2.0, @42mm. -33ev.
    ashley0081.

2. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    That harsh sunlight all but guaranteed some blown highlights. Things I like about it:

1. The hoodie texture and his beard texture sorta blend together.
    2. I think the DOF was just right. All of his face is in focus, but the background gets blurred.
    3. The eye contact and tilted head are nice. He's aware of us, and yet looks happy and natural.

So often now people either go heavy-contrast, or the opposite (lifted blacks) when processing a b&w portrait. This looks almost like it could've been straight out of camera. It's nice, informal, and not fussy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bruce Gillham

Aug 26, 2015
    Yes Kyle, it is pretty much straight out of the camera. Brought into PS or Bibble (forget which one) for resizing but no tonal correction was done or cropping.

I actually don`t like "PP" unless a client specifically asks for it.

I don`t like using my Fuji gear for portraits, as I usually use my Leica`s. However the 16 - 55 was new and this was the first shot.

Although I have been doing this for 40yrs or so, its always a pleasure to see how a new lens performs.

Thanks for your comments.

4. KillRamsey

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    Side note: I've found that I actually like a slightly softer lens for portraits om the X-Trans sensor. I have a Rokkor 55 f1.7 that I've shot a few with, and it's sharp *enough* in the center to look high quality without looking as gritty and revealing as some of the Fuji glass sometimes is. And then, or course, the bokeh is great on it.

5. KillRamsey

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Bruce Gillham

Aug 26, 2015
    I agree with what you say Kyle. I use Leica for most of my shots especially portraits.
    The Fuji`s I use for harder sort of Photography as in some product or architectural shots.

Like your shot of the girl, very nice.