XE-2 Predictive Focus Tracking

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by Markez79, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Markez79

Markez79 FujiXspot Rookie

Feb 13, 2014
    Hi guys,

This is my first post so apologies for any rookie errors!

I have the XE-2 and love it. However, one factor I don't like is the lack of predictive focusing especially when trying to take family photos of my 2 1/2 year old son! He is fast!

On various rumour sites I have started to hear that the XE-2 will have predictive AF both on single shot mode and continous AF........can anyone confirm whether this is true or not? Will this be via a new firmware upgarde or is there a setting I haven't found yet......?

If predictive AF will be implimented oin the XE-2 will this be limited to 3fps in AF-C mode?

I have the XT-1 on preorder but I will let it go if my XE-2 will get predictive AF.

Thanks!

Mark

2. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Daniel Sullivan

Daniel Sullivan FujiXspot Rookie

Feb 10, 2014
    It's great to see that the E2 has decent tracking abilities, now it begs the question.... what can the X-E2 do that the X-T1 can't?

4. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    It can be more affordable, lighter, nicer buttons, "rangefinder" design...

5. romi.gilles

romi.gilles FujiXspot Top Veteran

May 17, 2013
    back in Crooklyn
    i find the rf body less obtrusive than the slr body in public.

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

6. Daniel Sullivan

Daniel Sullivan FujiXspot Rookie

Feb 10, 2014
    Thank you, Rico, for your dedication to this forum and for answering all of our questions!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Markez79

Feb 13, 2014

Thanks Ricco - appreciated.

What I am really interested in is whether a firmware update is needed to get the predictive tracking AF? As things currently stand, the tracking ability of my XE-2 (Vrs 1.1) is terrible.

Mark

8. romi.gilles

romi.gilles FujiXspot Top Veteran

May 17, 2013
    back in Crooklyn
    if predictive af is currently available, wouldn't it already be in the current version firmware? are you aiming with the pdaf points?

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

9. Markez79

Feb 13, 2014
    Not neccesarily. I have read elsewhere that the Predictive AF Tracking is only available on Firmware Update 1.2 and that this has only been shared with a few reviewers and therefore not for general release yet.

Rico - are you able to comment on this? Is Predictive AF incorporated under Firmware version 1.1 or only in version 1.2?

If this is correct, any other updates being maxde via firmware 1.2.....? Different colours for focus peaking? Same WiFi connectivity as XT-1??

Thanks!

Mark

10. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    I have no infomation, it is all speculation as of now.

11. Armanius

Armanius FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Texas
    Muttley
    I'm confused. Is there a difference between "predictive AF" in the XT1 vs. the "C-AF" in the XE2???

Aren't all cameras with phase detect sensors using some type of predictive algorithms while in C-AF?

12. Armanius

Armanius FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Texas
    Muttley
    I believe I read somewhere that the better EVF on the XT1 is also much better for tracking a subject on the move while using high speed shooting.

13. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    Good questions.

Answer is no.

X100S and X20 offer no PDAF tracking at all.

XQ1 offers tracking, but is it predictive?

X-E2 and X-T1 offer predictive PDAF tracking.

• Like Like x 1
  14. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    Maybe in the way that a higher sensor readout frequency (aka higher EVF frame rate) would also result in more data points and hence more precise and faster tracking. Hence the 8 fps vs. 3 fps difference. I assume (pure speculation!) that this may also be a reason why the new Sony a6000 only offers a rather low-res EVF (downgrade from previous models): less resolution = higher frame rate = 11 fps PDAF tracking.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Davoe

Davoe FujiXspot Regular

Feb 14, 2014
    NorCal
  16. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
  17. Davoe

Davoe FujiXspot Regular

Feb 14, 2014
    NorCal
    Oops, my bad.

18. Cookiespider

Cookiespider New to FujiXspot

Feb 17, 2014
  19. jacobsen1

jacobsen1 FujiXspot Rookie

Jan 21, 2014
    so to get predictive tracking on the XE2 you need to be in AF-C and 3fps mode right? What about AF area, single point or all or either?