XE1 and 18-55 problem -- no operation?

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by WT21, Jun 21, 2013.

1. WT21

WT21 FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    I have a brand new XE1 and an 18-55. I did a bunch of testing with the 35/1.4. No issues. But, when I attached the 18-55, the camera won't function. The image comes on for a brief second, then all is black. There is a very, very slight pulsing of light on the LCD, but I cannot trigger the shutter or even turn on the menu. I've tried remounting the lens several times and also cleaning the contacts. I even tried setting the camera to "shoot without lens" to on. Nothing.

It seems to me to be defective, but I thought I'd ask if anyone had any similar experience, or might know a solution.

2. Hyubie

Hyubie FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Weymouth, MA
    Could it be firmware?? Is it upgraded?

3. WT21

WT21 FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Body FW is updated. No way to update the lens FW, AFAIK.

edit -- I just turned on the cam with the lens attached and held the DISP button, and I got FW #0.0. Not sure if the lens is without FW, or if the cam can't see the lens. I'm going to call B&H, but I'm sure they'll just suggest I return it.

4. Hyubie

Hyubie FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Weymouth, MA
    You need to download the lens firmware, and update it much the same way as you would update the body firmware (save the file to SD card, etc).

5. WT21

WT21 FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    I was just coming here to post this. I downloaded the FW update, and it said "error -- please contact service center"

B&H closed at 2pm, so no help there :(

I sent a note to Fuji tech/svc center. Maybe they have a solution.

Edit -- I called Fuji. They got nothing. It's going back. I'll just need to decide if I want to swap this lens, or return the whole set. At least I have the weekend to play with the 35 to decide.

6. zapatista

zapatista FujiXspot Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    Denver
    Mike
    The 35mm is an awesome lens, I like it more overall than the Pan-Leica 25mm f1.4.