XE1 focus peaking?

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by WT21, Feb 26, 2013.

1. WT21

WT21 FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    I thought I had read the XE1 had focus peaking, but I can't find it on camera or manual, and the google hits I see are from months before the release and rumors.

Is there focus peaking, or just the 3X / 10X magnification options?

2. Biro

Biro Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ean10775

ean10775 FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    My understanding is that none of the Fuji cams have peaking apart from the X100s . The X-mount cams just have the 3x/10x MF assist.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Biro

Biro Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I suppose it could be added via firmware update. Pentax did it with its K-01 and Q.

5. ean10775

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    ^So did Sony with the older NEX cameras. That said, I think it will depend on how Fuji has decided to handle peaking - if the way they're written the firmware is based on the camera having the hybrid AF system (as on the X100s) as a prerequisite, and that same hybrid AF technology will be used on the X-Pro 2/X-E2, I can't see it ever being offered for the X-Pro/X-E1.

6. drewbot

drewbot FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Toronto
    The X-E1 does not have focus peaking.

It only has 3x/10x mag.

To my understanding from wherever on the Internet it was, focus peaking on the X-E1 cannot be implemented. This may be a limitation of on-board CPUs. Only the X-Trans CMOS II cameras, the X100s and X20, are capable of this.

7. deanmessenger

deanmessenger FujiXspot Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Surrey UK
    Dean Messenger
    no focus peaking cant be added via firmware, it is a hardware setting and only available on the new sensor used in the x100s

8. ean10775

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    Re focus peaking - If I'm being honest, as useful as it can be with adapted lenses (its the only way I use my Samyang 35mm f1.4 on my 5DII) I find it really takes away from the process of capturing a moment. What I mean by that is that I find myself occupied solely with making sure the area I want in focus is, and not thinking about composition or the expression of the subject (if a portrait). I realise it doesn't have to be this way and peaking can be a useful tool, but for me it makes the process of taking a photo too much like playing a video game.

9. snkenai

snkenai FujiXspot Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    Campbellsville, KY
    I find that "peaking" on the K-01 is very handy in certain situations, but very confusing in others. Glad to have it when I want it.

10. nianys

nianys FujiXspot Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    France
    Claire
    While I understand what you're saying, I use it all the time on my NEX bodies and it's allowed me to capture portraits I really like with legacy lenses..

0c94a83cc23a87725e02ee6b7e801cc7_431.

I have the oppotunity to buy a mint X-E I have on loan right now, and peaking would be the extra nudge I need to commit. Without it, I think I'm gonna pass on the offer...

11. zapatista

zapatista FujiXspot Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    Denver
    Mike
    Peaking is absolutely a nice feature to have available, though using MF without it is ok...especially with a good EVF