XF 56/1.2 APD vs Std

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by wilco23, Nov 15, 2015.

1. wilco23

wilco23 FujiXspot Rookie

Nov 15, 2015
    I want to take advantage of current discount and cannot decide whether to get APD or non APD. Your advice is appreciated.

2. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Welcome, Wilco.

Your question is unanswerable as it is framed. We cannot help you to decide without knowing anything about you, your needs, preferences and personal style.

The 56 in either form is a lens that really excels in quite a narrow range of applications; what it does it does really well, but it is not an always-on-the-camera lens - unless it's particular qualities match your personal vision...

Your question as it stands can be answered by spec. sheets and examples, but it sounds like you are asking for subjective opinions, for which we need to know you better.

3. wilco23

wilco23 FujiXspot Rookie

Nov 15, 2015
    Thanks for your reply Bill. I meant it to use for portrait shots and I like quality bokeh. I am not prophotog. Just hobbyist taking photo for family and friends and travel.
    I have D750 and Otus 85 and too heavy to use during trip. I have EM-1 with PL25/1.4 and OL75/1.8. Instead of getting PL42.5/1.2, I recently bought X-10 to use with 56. I love Fuji S5, S3 pro color and I still own those and I bought X-T10 (not arrived yet) to see whether it is same color as S5, S3.

Kind regards,
    Wilco

4. Lightmancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Okay, that's a good answer. I think that unless you actually NEED the APD lens, the "standard" 56 should give you the bokeh you're after. I have one, alongside the 90mm f2 and wrote about their comparative bokeh here: Fujinon 90mm f/2 R LM WR Review: Break out the piggy bank - look at the peg shots.

I love my 56 - it's not the easiest lens to use, I'll grant you; until you get used to it and to the ultra-thin depth-of-focus it can be quite unforgiving, but it also produces the goods...
    36013799.3b4ec461.1600.
    NHM Guy 2 X-Pro 1
    par Lightmancer, on ipernity

5. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    I own the 56, and I've read a decent bit about the APD version. I really don't see much advantage with the APD, and it costs more. ...And it robs you of light at the wide end. Easy decision for me.

As for using it, I've thoroughly enjoyed having it. I'd say it's a very good lens to pair with the 23 f1.4. With those two, you can really cover a LOT.

6. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    Just read a few of the available comparisons (showing useful examples) and then decide which look you actually prefer. IME, most users aren't really interested in the APD version, as it's more expensive and slower. The bokeh may look a little bit better to some, but that's subjective, anyway.

7. wilco23

wilco23 FujiXspot Rookie

Nov 15, 2015
    Thanks for all your advice. I have read through comparison from this article Fujifilm 56mm F1.2R vs 56mm F1.2 APD Bokeh Comparison at a Wedding . With current discount, price difference is only $300 and I cannot judge slow focus and slow shutter speed. I wished I can try both in low light before purchase it.

Bill, thanks for the 90/2 article.

• Like Like x 1
  8. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    You can always read my articles, too, but in the end, the decision will depend on your personal taste and requirements. Sometimes, flattening the aperture discs can take the life out of an image, so softer isn't always better. Not to mention times when aperture discs ARE the image.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. wilco23

wilco23 FujiXspot Rookie

Nov 15, 2015
    Thanks for all your advice. I finally decided to go with Std version instead of APD. My decision factor is focus speed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. KillRamsey

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    You'll never regret that. Also, consider using the savings over APD version to pick up one of those Rokinon manual focus lenses. For new lenses (as opposed to used), there's no better bang for the buck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. wilco23

wilco23 FujiXspot Rookie

Nov 15, 2015
    You mean Rokinon 12mm? So far I ordered 14,23,56 and 90 from Henry's. It is just a few $ more than those used.

12. KillRamsey

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    I didn't realize you were "all in." Nice. The 23 will be a great "everyday" lens, the 14 is sharp (though I couldn't bond with it), and then the 56 and 90 will be useful for portraiture. My experience so far with the rokinon -- and yes I have the 12, which would be of little use to you with the 14 -- is that it's VERY sharp, well made, easy to use, and reasonably priced. If there's a focal length they make that you only need once in awhile, especially for a stationary subject, they're compelling. $319 isn't bad for an f2 lens.

13. wilco23

wilco23 FujiXspot Rookie

Nov 15, 2015
    Thanks Kyle. Yes, I take advantage of discount. I bought X-T10 with 18-55. I need one for long end I am not sure to get 55-200 or just use existing Nikon.

14. Lightmancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Right now I'd buy a 50-230 for the reach and compact lightness; I have both it and the 55-200 and it is the better value if not the best performer on paper. In the real world, however, it is hard to fault. If you really need the reach wait for the 100-400 that's due next year or use an adaptor and an old manual prime - I have a Tokina ATX 400mm in Olympus OM mount that cost me pennies and, as long as you hold it steady, turns in a stellar performance.

15. KillRamsey

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    I also have the cheap 50-230, and within its operational range, it is amazingly good. I found mine used online for under $200, and it's silly how good the images can be from it. All with auto focus, and exif data...

16. wilco23

wilco23 FujiXspot Rookie

Nov 15, 2015
    I need some thing above 100 since 100-400 won't come out till middle of next year. Debating between 50-230 and 55-200 now.

17. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    Middle of next year? :wtf:I'm expecting mine in January.

18. wilco23

wilco23 FujiXspot Rookie

Nov 15, 2015
    I don't know when it is. Just guessing. Rumor site said March.

19. KillRamsey

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    If you're....

1. In any way tight on $, and
    2. Planning on using a long lens in very good light, then

...there's not a ton of reason in going for the 55-200 lens, in my humble. The XC is really very, very close throughout most of its range, close enough that it's often difficult or impossible to tell which lens took the shot. It's only a stop slower, it has an extra 30mm (APSC mm, so 45 FF mm) at the long end, it's MUCH smaller and lighter, and if you can live with ugly silver, people practically throw them at you. It's made of plastic, but if you're going to use it here and there, and with care, it's more than fine. Mine has survived at 5 foot fall onto hard tile with no problems.

• Like Like x 1
  20. wilco23

wilco23 FujiXspot Rookie

Nov 15, 2015
    Thanks Kyle for your advice. Yes I saw new silver version going as low as $150. I don't want bulky lens 40-150 instead I will use current Nikon but I don't want to carry 2 system in coming trip. I do not want to regret after getting 50-230 and lurking 55-200. I don't mind plastic since Sony 18-55 that comes with NEX 5N last long without any issue and Oly 12-40/2.8 also screwed metal mount into plastic inside.