Some from Chattanooga

Djarum

All-Pro
Name
Jason
I was in Chattanooga, TN for Memorial day weekend. My other half and I spent most of our time at the river walk the first day and the Hunter Museum of Art the second day. These are from the first day. Taken with the E-P1. These are some of my favorite from the bunch. Nothing special. I hope to post the one's in and around the museum when I can. CC is always welcome.

Setting sun on the Aquarium

P9036995_cropscale.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Down by the river walk
P9037008_scale.JPG

P9037015_scale.JPG

This is at the southside of the pedestrian bridge, close to the museum. There is camera shake, but I keep coming back to this image.

P9037060_crop.JPG

And an obligatory night shot of the aquarium, off the 7th floor of the hotel

P9037070_scale.JPG

I love the name of the place, Chattanooga.

Of your pictures, I like the second and third pictures best. I think a little SEP2 would make your second picture really pop but they all look good as they are.

Here are a few more. Some of this is me experimenting, so be kind ;)

CC is always welcome. I've realized that it's hard getting decent scenic/architecture shots when its nothing but gray outside.

This first one is part of an art garden on the bluff overlooking the Tennessee River:

P9047099bws.JPG

The next two are taken around some older buildings in the art district.

P9047109.JPG

Another member on mu-43 posted a very similar picture from the same location. His approach was HDR. I had horrible lighting, so I thought I'd try something different.

P9047107fs.JPG

And for something different, in the museum. Probably my favorite.

P9047132s.JPG

I was once told, when I commented that I was not inspired to take photos on the dull, grey days, that my mistake in my search for inspiration was the direction I was pointing my camera. On days when the skies are grey look down because you will find that the world around your feet is saturated in colour offering you much to be inspired.

Having said that, my favourite of the second batch of pictures is the last one. I always like pictures that lead my eye into the picture and the bench snakes my vision in. The red seats in the corner are welcomed and finally the grey sky is broken up by the windows offering more interesting shapes as it contrasts against the dull sky.

Briar,

I like the last one too. I think I can do more with it, though. The nice thing about gray days is that everything on the ground is pretty evenly lit. No harsh shadows. The problem is, anything that still has the sky in it will still be impacted by the gray sky. Believe it or not, the colors on the first shot of the second batch are really unbelievable, but the whole shot is marred by the gray sky. The 3rd shot of the second batch I also liked, and played around with black and white, but it just doesn't fit. The terra cotta color of the fountain really makes the shot, and making it desaturated just really kills it.

I really appreciate all the comments. I hope to get more. I'm always trying to improve. While many members appreciate the excelent shots by the really great photographers on this site, I hope we don't forget about the little guy trying.

Back