XF1 question regarding clicking in lens

Discussion in 'Fuji X10, X20, X30, XF1, and X-S1' started by jdub, Jun 22, 2013.

1. jdub

jdub FujiXspot Rookie

Mar 30, 2013
    Texas
    I jumped at the chance to pickup an XF1 for under $300 to go along with my X-E1 and X20. So far I've been very pleasantly surprised. I've been shooting JPG and enjoying the quality. It reminds me of why I liked my X10 so much and how different it is from the X20.

My only concern at this point is that it makes a light clicking noise while zooming the lens in or out. It's a consistently spaced noise which leads me to believe it may be designed that way and its very light. Normally I wouldn't worry about it but this camera was listed as brand-new from an Amazon seller but it had obviously been opened and handled before I got it. I have 30 days either way I just want to make sure it's normal.

I like this thing enough to ditch my RX100. The Sony had much better IQ but I never enjoyed using it at all. It wasn't any fun so I sold it. The XF1 fits nicely in my pocket and fits in with my other Fujis. I think for under $300 it's a heck of a deal.

I've also been using it with my little EF-X20 flash as a slave. Good fun!

View attachment 14146

2. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    Sounds like a great deal, and it works just like the X10. So if you know how to master EXR, you can extract amazing results from this camera whith RAW and Lightroom. I would not worry about the clicking, as long as everything works as expected. Sounds normal to me.

3. jdub

jdub FujiXspot Rookie

Mar 30, 2013
    Texas
    Thanks for the reply! I haven't heard anyone else mention the clicking so I'm just curious.

I had an X10 for over a year and a half and loved it. I sold it a few months ago and got the X20 and then an X-E1. I'd forgetten how different the images were between the X10 and X20 (both are great but still different). This XF1 reminds me why I liked the X10 so much. I'm also very happy with the way the XF1 handles. I imagine that just like my X10 I'll mostly shoot JPG with the XF1 and continue to shoot raw from the X20.

4. Armanius

Armanius FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Texas
    Muttley
    I'm looking to buy a XF1. But haven't found any really good deals for it anywhere. Cheapest new ones are still in the $360-380 range.

5. jdub

jdub FujiXspot Rookie

Mar 30, 2013
    Texas
    There are Amazon Marketplace sellers for under $300 listing them as new in sealed packaging. That's how I got mine but it had obviously been opened before I got it. It did appear to be new and I've been having a lot of fun with it.

Amazon has a policy that prevents the little Marketplace sellers from listing items as *new* so you'll find these under the used section and the description will say they're new in box.

It's a great camera for $300 or less but I wouldn't go much higher.

View attachment 14283