XF1 underexposure problems

Discussion in 'Fuji X10, X20, X30, XF1, and X-S1' started by chipbutty, Dec 9, 2013.

1. chipbutty

chipbutty FujiXspot Regular

Aug 3, 2013
    Sheffield, UK
    I recently bought the XF1 and have spent silly amounts of time reading about how best to use this camera! I'm sure we've all been there. All good fun. I've noticed it has a really bad tendency to underexpose. At least mine does. I took it to the park today to get some snap shots of my daughter and to familiarise myself with the camera. I tend to shoot Raw with my X100 and m43 kit but I thought the XF1 would be a fun JPEG camera whilst also shooting in Raw+JPEG to use Fuji's brilliant in camera Raw converter to make more JPEGs. I had the XF1 set to medium to take advantage of the EXR functionality and also shoot in Raw.

This is the worst example of what I got this afternoon but some of the others weren't great either. I metered off my daughter's jacket though it looks like I metered off the sky! It does look as though it's metered the sky but I had a dozen other similar shots though not quite as badly underexposed. Ok it's a slightly tricky shot with the bright-ish sky in the background so I'd fully expect the image to look a little underexposed without any positive exposure comp. But nothing like the result I got. I understand that when invoking EXR HR the camera splits the sensor into 2 6mp sections and uses one for highlights and one for shadows and exposes each one as best it can. But it's almost as if the JPEG I see is just the underexposed half and and not the two combined :confused: Interestingly on this shot changing the DR Range afterwards in the Raw converter to DR 100 exposed it correctly. A full two stops. Though obviously it's full of noise.

Anyone any ideas? I just want to know what's going on!

Medium 6mp
    Program mode
    1/480
    f3.2
    ISO 100
    Exposure comp +1/3
    D-Range 400
    Metering: Pattern

i-LhSQt9b-L.

2. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    Can you send me the RAW file?

3. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    It certainly doesn't. EXR DR does that (at ISO 100).

4. chipbutty

Aug 3, 2013
    Sheffield, UK
    Sorry I meant EXR DR. Can I still have some help please :)

5. chipbutty

Aug 3, 2013
    Sheffield, UK
    Will do. Just give me a few minutes.

Sent you a Dropbox link. Thanks.

6. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    It looked pretty much the same in Lightroom.

Here's the result of my quick PP: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kf6cwqf53cgduw6/DSCF0327.jpg

What's strange is that you say that DR100% lifts the shadows, instead of blowing the highlights. You should try a full camera reset.

11294858516_14f90c775a_z.

• Like Like x 1
  7. chipbutty

Aug 3, 2013
    Sheffield, UK
    Thanks for looking. Yes I had a look in Lightroom too. Seems to be something odd going on don't you think? I fear something is wrong. Every shot was underexposed to some degree almost as if the camera wasn't combining the two and only showing the underexposed photo. I'll try resetting the camera.

• Like Like x 1
  8. chipbutty

Aug 3, 2013
    Sheffield, UK
    Anyone else having underexposure issues? I'm constantly having to ride the exposure comp dial outdoors otherwise I end up with many shots a stop underexposed. Today was a good example, foggy and very gloomy and not at all bright. As soon as the XF1 sees the dark sky it starts to underexpose. I could understand underexposure in bright sunlight. Really odd. I'm thinking of returning it to Fuji.

9. JdK

JdK FujiXspot Rookie

Oct 2, 2013
    Sounds odd to me. I've just read your other post describing how Fuji packed it - maybe that had something to do with it... I think I'd send it back. FWIW you can get a brand new one (yours is refurbished yes?) from Currys for £135.00 at the moment. I know others have had good luck with refurbs from Fuji but both an X-100 and an X-E1 that I had from them had to go back.

10. chipbutty

Aug 3, 2013
    Sheffield, UK
    Yes I think I'll send it back. I saw that Currys deal yesterday. Curry's have sold out of Tan. Just red left I think. Tempting to get a refund from Fuji and get a new one from Curry's.

11. chipbutty

Aug 3, 2013
    Sheffield, UK
    Just ordered a new one from Currys! No Tan I'm afraid. Oh well. Now to return this one to Fuji for a refund.

12. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    Great, looking forward to hear how the new one is different.

13. chipbutty

Aug 3, 2013
    Sheffield, UK
    I did a little test with my X100, EPM1 and XF1. I set the ISO, aperture and shutter speed the same on each and shot the same scene with each. The XF1 was way underexposed again while the X100 and EPM1 were both perfectly exposed for that scene. I'm no expert but it would seem that the the aperture is not opening enough in some situations?

14. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    Yep, a mechanical problem is always possible. Often, there is a reason why someone sent back his camera to the warehouse. That's why I would never buy a camera warehouse deal.

15. chipbutty

Aug 3, 2013
    Sheffield, UK
    Very true, though you would think that cameras from Fuji's own refurb shop would be good. But I've lost count of the number of posts from disgruntled owners who've bought cameras from Fuji's refurb shop only to find the camera is faulty. I do wonder how many are returned with a definite fault but Fuji are unable to replicate it, so the camera is put up for sale again in their store. Or am I being too cynical?

16. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    No, I think this is exactly what is happening.

17. JdK

JdK FujiXspot Rookie

Oct 2, 2013
    Chipbutty, I hope your new XF1 works perfectly. I'm quite tempted myself.

Re refurbs direct from Fuji - the refurb X100 I had from them a year ago had dust on the sensor and dust in the viewfinder. Both fairly obvious problems that you'd think they would have noticed. I sent it straight back and ended up paying the extra to get a new one.

On the other hand I just sent my X100 in for its free 11 month check-up (there was dust in the viewfinder too) and the service was incredible. Fuji sent a box and prepaid bag. I posted it to them late on a Monday, I received an email the next morning to tell me they'd received it and would get it back to me as soon as possible, later that same day I had another email telling me everything was done. It arrived back the next morning. Total time away - less than 48 hours. Amazing. And they actually had cleaned the viewfinder too!

18. chipbutty

Aug 3, 2013
    Sheffield, UK
    Yes fingers crossed!

Fuji are sending me the prepaid returns packaging. Hopefully the XF1 from Currys won't get held up in the Christmas postage backlog.

19. phil62

phil62 FujiXspot Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Fuji UK refurbs are something of a mixed bag in my opinion. I have bought both an X10 (£225 with coupon) and an X100 (£404 with coupon) both with twelve month warranties.

The goods are packaged poorly when sent out from the store. My X100 which I purchased a couple of months ago was wrapped in a plastic bag and then put in an oversized 'refurb' box with little if anything in the way of foam cushioning to protect it as it rattled around inside the box. However it seemed to survive unscathed and despite having an early serial number (although the EXIF data gives a later manufacture date) is performing well. The X10 also arrived with minimal packaging and has been sent back twice to Fuji.

The Irony is that when you send the camera back for repair, Fuji send you a 'proper' box with foam packing and a prepaid envelope. Although the website states quite a long turnaround it seems to me that the X series cameras are prioritised and the X10 has always come back inside a few days.

Lastly the use CityLink to ship the repair parcels back (although Royal Mail to return) and despite shipping the purchased cameras to my work address, would only ship the repairs to my home address.

Hope your new XF-1 works out for you.

Phil

20. chipbutty

Aug 3, 2013
    Sheffield, UK
    Cheers Phil. Yes my XF1 was also rattling around inside the refurb box when I took delivery last week. Baffling that they would package their cameras in this way.