Xpro2 overheating

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by les-star, Mar 17, 2016.

1. les-star

les-star FujiXspot Regular

Aug 2, 2013
    I just received my xpro2. I noticed after customizing it (30-40mins) the camera feels hot. Noticeably hot similar to when you are on your smartphone for long periods of time. Predominantly around the LCD and noticeable when I put my eye to the viewfinder.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I even switched the display to only viewfinder with eye sensor and same issue. Tried on standard and high performance mode.

i've had all other x bodies (xt1. X100t) and they had no issues.

please let me know if this is normal.

thx

2. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Hi Les,

I have seen other reports of this but to be honest not experienced it myself. I agree, not encountered it with any other X bodies. As a matter of interest was the battery fully charged when you started and was it Fuji OEM?

3. les-star

Aug 2, 2013
    Hey, yes battery fully charged and OEM. I also tried another OEM battery I had and same issue. It doesn't get so hot that I can't handle it. I just felt it was odd as I never encountered this with any other magnesium alloy camera I've owned. I'll do a test and leave it on to see when it starts to overheat. Anyone else notice their xpro2 doing this? Thx!

4. les-star

Aug 2, 2013
    So I just tested it. I just left the camera on with a fully charged OEM battery with LCD only. After 10mins of idle activity it was warming up and after 20mins it warms up even more... It actually warms up on the entire back and bottom but predominantly on the LCD. if I were to hold the camera to my face and look through the viewfinder theres no doubt that it is heating up. Anyone with xpro2 notice this?

5. les-star

Aug 2, 2013
    Where did you see other reports of this? I'm unable to find any. Thanks!

6. les-star

Aug 2, 2013
    Camera is still on (about 50mins) and now the entire body is hot even on the handgrip. I hope I didn't purchase a $2000 Lemon. Anyone?

I've emailed fuji support to see what they say.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  7. les-star

Aug 2, 2013
    I normally never leave it on but after initial set up is when I noticed it. Did you notice it heat up when you were customizing the camera functions and menus? Are you able to test yours out when you have a chance for me? It'll be much appreciated. You will need to disable the auto shut off under power management and switch the display to LCD only. THANKS!

8. les-star

Aug 2, 2013
    Thanks for testing and confirming for me. Spoke to my salesman and am getting her replaced :)

• Like Like x 2
  9. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    Even if no "problems" occurred as a result of the heat, logically you know the heat's coming from the battery draining, so it had to be eating your batteries quickly to make all that heat. Glad it's being taken care of.

10. Iansky

Iansky FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Ian Lloyd-Grahm
    Good luck with getting a replacement without the problem, Fuji are normally very good at helping customers.

11. les-star

Aug 2, 2013
    Got the replacement and No overheating! So happy it all worked out. :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. SithTracy

SithTracy New to FujiXspot

Mar 18, 2016
    S. E. Wisconsin, U.S.A.
    I experienced the settings issues a couple of times. WiFi locking up the camera to a point I had to removed the battery, Missed AF with the OVF even though it focus confirms, but I decided the black frames issue that I experienced on a minor shoot yesterday, the camera had to go back for a refund. Fujifilm NJ felt I needed to exchange it (30 day return policy @ Amazon), but I elected for a refund at this time. I may pick it up again at a later date, but right now, not worth the aggravation. I think it may take a couple firmware fixes to address the issues the camera has. I do expect it to be great... I already miss it.