XT1 with Battery Grip - Battery Life Issues

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by JuSlaughter, Apr 16, 2016.

1. JuSlaughter

JuSlaughter FujiXspot Regular

Mar 9, 2016
    Julian Slaughter
    Hey Guys

I hope everyone is OK.

I was fully aware of the poor battery life of the XT1 before purchase, hence why I bought the Fuji battery grip to go with it and an official Fuji battery. On Friday, I noticed something very worrying, not sure whether its the camera, the battery or the grip, so any pointers would be most useful.

I had been out shooting bluebells, I used the LCD mostly as I wanted to get really low down without getting covered in mud. When I had finished, I still had one full battery and some left of the second, presumably the one in the grip. The camera was stowed away, it was powered off. Later I went out to try and get some shots of a storm that was coming our way. Knowing I would only get a few shots, I didn't bother to recharge. We got to a decent spot, I set up and waited. Again, the camera was off until I was ready. It was set to manual focus and again was using the LCD as I was in an awkward position. After firing off a few shots, maybe 5 to 8 second exposures, the battery in the grip died, as expected. What I didn't expect was the main battery to only last 3 or 4 shots afterwards, considering the battery display said it was full a few hours earlier.

I can understand using the LCD uses battery but I would have expected a full battery to give me more. So I was left with no batteries, both were dead. I tried something. I took the grip off and put both batteries straight into the camera. Surprisingly, both batteries registered power and let me fire off some shots.

So, do I have a problem with the grip or it is the camera?

Thoughts?

2. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Just check the cleanliness of the connections on the grip. A full battery shouldn't discharge like that.

3. JuSlaughter

JuSlaughter FujiXspot Regular

Mar 9, 2016
    Julian Slaughter
    Hey Bill

I'm trying it without the grip to rule it out.

4. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Good idea. Root cause analysis and all that.