Your favorite X travel gear

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by pniev, Feb 12, 2013.

1. pniev

pniev Guest

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and the Fuji world. I used to be A Nikon shooter and sold my entire set because I got tired of carrying the weight. I'm not a pro and I mostly shoot during trips. I've not made up my mind yet but it will be Fuji (with interchangeable lenses). I love the retro look of the x-line as well as the high quality build and the possibility to tweak settings. Initially I wanted to wait for a FF successor of the x-pro1 but I'm inclined to believe those who argue that that's not going to happen for a while. As I use the OVF of the X10 frequently, I have a slight preference for the xpro1.

I do hope you can help me make up my mind by sharing your favorite travel gear to be used for a combination of landscape, nature, street, and macro (macro is my favorite type of photography). I.e. the typical travel photo stuff. No sports/action needed.

More specifically: XP1 or XE1? I've read that the EVF is more difficult to "read" when it is quite sunny. Is that your experience as well?

Which lenses?

And for those who own(ed) a Nikon D200 and now a XP1 or XE1: could you share the main differences? I'm especially "worried" about the dynamic range and tone.

Thanks for your time and help! I do hope to exchange views with you frequently.

Peter

2. Penfan2010

Penfan2010 FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Central-ish NJ
    Ed
    Peter, welcome to the forum. I use both the X100 and X-Pro 1 because I really like the OVF. I've not noticed any difficulty using the X-Pro1 EVF in bright sun; conversely, I rely on the OVF for low light when the EVF refresh rate could become a problem (especially for low-light shots with moving subjects, i.e. dance).

I haven't travelled a lot with the X-Pro, but when I want to pack extra lenses to complement my 35mm Fujinon, I take two of my legacy lenses: a Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Heliar (L39 + M adapter ring and M to X adapter) and a Zuiko 70mm F2.0 for the Olympus Pen F half frame. Covers most of what I need for street, landscape, interior, nature. I rarely shoot macro, though, so I am sure you will want to replace or add a macro lens, native or otherwise. Hope this helps. Look forward to hearing what your final choice is, and to see some of your photos.

Ed

3. GeoffM

GeoffM FujiXspot Regular

Feb 12, 2013
    Queensland, Australia
    I have the XE1. Both it and the XP1 will walk all over the D200 - I have a D300 and D700 and the XE1 at minimum equals the D300 but generally surpasses it. The XE1 even gives the D700 a run for it's money in many respects.

4. AlbertInFrance

AlbertInFrance FujiXspot Regular

Feb 11, 2013
    Morbihan, France
    I'm off to Thailand soon with my XE1 & 35mm, Nikkor 28mm & 105mm and some cheap, no-name close-up lenses. Travelling with family I don't want to spend a lot of time on serious macro setups so my extension tubes, reversers, etc will be staying at home.

5. pniev

pniev Guest

Thanks for your help!

Albert: I am looking forward to some shots with the XE1 and Nikon 105mm! Although..perhaps it will make me regret selling mine. ;-)

Geoff: It is really encouraging to know that XE1/P1 are on par with the D300 and even the D700.

Ed: Very encouraging to learn that the EVF works perfectly in bright light. Now I do have to think about low light... I will definitely give a buzz when I've made up my mind.

BTW: I do hope that Fuji announces the successor of the X-pro1 soon!

Thanks!

Peter

6. lainer

lainer FujiXspot Rookie

Feb 14, 2013
    Arizona
    I am interested in the Voigtlander you're using. Is it easy to focus on the Fuji? I may get one of those.

7. garylh

garylh FujiXspot Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Fuji x100 w/ Sony rx100 for my back up camera. Used this combo for my last vacation in New Mexico.

Gary

8. chris24net

chris24net New to FujiXspot

Feb 2, 2013
    I shoot travel and use 2 X-E1s, the 14mm, 18-55mm, 35mm and 60mm. The second body is a backup that stays in the hotel. The rest fits in a small Millican Stephen bag. You have the wide covered with the 14mm, walkaround with the 18-55, portrait with the 60, and good lowlight with the 35mm. The only thing missing now is a long tele. Once the 55-200 comes out you'll have a pretty complete system. Though I will replace the 60mm with the 56 when it comes out.

For examples of travel work shot with the X-E1 - http://chris-sorensen.com/india

9. Penfan2010

Penfan2010 FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Central-ish NJ
    Ed
    It is okay to focus with 3x. Depth of field is so great with this lens, though, that I tend to use at F8 and zone focus.

10. Nic

Nic FujiXspot Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hi Chris,

Great to see you here. I've loved those shots of India you took since the first time I saw them. Reminds me of my own (very brief) time spent there on holiday. Amazing country...

11. Nic

Nic FujiXspot Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    The Fuji X cameras wouldn't be my ideal, one-camera travel setup, but if I had one I would certainly make sure to squeeze it into the backpack somewhere so that I could bring it along with me as well :)

12. chris24net

Feb 2, 2013
    Thanks Nic.

13. pniev

pniev Guest

Awesome work. Chris! It was a great start of the morning to look at your photos and enjoy the colors and the way you captured the drama and atmosphere. A clear signature indeed! The writing monk in the Sri Lanka folder is like a painting (I looked for a couple of minutes at it!).

Your photos taught me that it is not necessary to have the dynamic range etc of a D800 to get something special and making productive use of light is far more important.

Thanks for your advice with respect to the gear. Very useful. Probably I will prefer the macro capabilities of the 60mm over the portrait capabilities of the 56mm and will take the slow focus for granted. If Fuji would launch a 105mm macro comparable to the Nikon 105mm, I would go for that one (the extra work space makes quite a difference when you walk in a forest or try to shoot a butterfly or insect).

Thanks again!

Peter

14. chris24net

Feb 2, 2013
    Thanks Peter. Actually the Sri Lanka monk was taken with the OM-D. India was my first trip with the X-E1. And I've not shot with the D800, but the Fuji is basically as good as my 5DmkII in dynamic range, ISO, IQ, etc. And hell, the OM-D is pretty close. But you're correct, good light and right situation will beat having the best camera anytime. And these small cameras are so good now, that even if the 5DmkII or III or D800 beats them by a bit, they at least beat the original 5D (other than DOF) which a lot of great, professional work was being done with just a couple years ago. So to have something better than that, in a tiny, lightweight, very capable package is fantastic. And the lenses are great too. The Fuji lenses match Canon's L glass, as do the best M4/3 lenses. Good luck with your choices.